We are recruiting for our first ever HR, Learning and Development manager to develop and implement our people strategy and directly support our exciting scale goals.
Lively Minds is an award-winning NGO working to get preschoolers in rural Ghana & Uganda school-ready.
Over 250 million children under 5 years globally do not get the early childhood care and education (“ECCE”) they need, leading to poor health, poor education, lost life opportunities and poverty. We believe that one of the main barriers to ECCE is that parents in remote resource-poor villages lack the information, education and aspiration to provide basic and affordable opportunities for their children. We have developed an innovative behavior-change programme that empowers marginalized, poorly educated Mothers to run educational Play Schemes for preschoolers and to provide better home-based care, using cheap local resources. Not only does this result in positive outcomes for child development, but also has positive impacts for the Mothers too.
These are exciting times for Lively Minds. In Ghana, we are finalising a partnership agreement with Ministry of Education (MOE) and Ghana Education Service to integrate the programme in to the national kindergarten system and scale across 60 rural districts in the northern regions of the country, reaching approximately 4000 kindergartens and 1.1million children. Our programme in Uganda is in a test and position for scale stage with the long-term aim of national roll-out. Our long-term goal is for the programme to be adopted in several countries in the global south so that it can have a large impact in tackling the global early childhood development crisis.
Over the next year we will be expanding our Ghanaian team significantly and building strategies to support our organisation’s scale-up. We are therefore recruiting for our first ever HR, Learning and Development manager to develop and implement our people strategy and directly support our growth ambitions.
The immediate priority for the postholder will be to develop and implement new HR processes and systems across our global organisation. These will include appraisals/performance management; behaviour & culture management; developing leadership development and training. The postholder will also be responsible for driving and managing the mass recruitment and onboarding exercise in Ghana.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contribute to the organisational development and programme scale strategy
- Develop and implement an HR strategy to support the achievement of strategic goals and to ensure that our HR strategy reflects our values.
Recruitment, induction & retention
- Develop and implement an effective recruitment process
- Lead on the recruitment and induction process for a mass recruitment in Ghana (circa 40 new hires)
- Design and manage each element of the end to end employee life cycle
- Work with Head of M& E to establish robust and effective “people” measures and metrics that can be used to report on employee satisfaction, recruitment effectiveness, measure retention rates.
- Establish a tool and process to “temperature test” the organization and understand the different culture dimensions.
- Lead on developing and implementing a new Diversity and Inclusion policy
People Development & Performance Management
- Establish working norms to ensure Lively Minds’ culture, values and behaviours are embedded in staff behaviours and management practices.
- Create and implement a Learning & Development strategy, including a package of trainings on our core and leadership competencies, together with tools and processes to embed these competencies in to working practices
- Support the implementation of our new performance management system and competencies. In particular ensuring development plans are being used effectively to build capacity; tracking and reviewing metrics
- Develop a succession management plan for key management positions
- Be part of a team to advise on the purchase of an online HR system and lead on the implementation of this system
- Update HR handbook and policies, engaging with staff to ensure buy-in to these
- Manage change and ensure teams understand and are appropriately implementing policies and systems
- Recruit and manage an HR officer in Ghana to support the HR function
- Implement day-to-day HR administrative functions
- Be responsible for ensuring compliance with HR-related issues
We are looking for an HR/Learning & Development expert with the confidence and experience to set-up and grow our HR function. You will be working in a multi-national, multi-disciplinary team that is spread across three countries and will be the go-to person on all HR issues. Lively Minds is a fast-paced, results-oriented organisation with a drive for excellence. To succeed in this role you must be able work strategically to ensure that our HR function is truly values-driven. But you must also be a doer and capable of implementing the strategies with minimal supervision and on a small budget.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Minimum of 7 years of experience in an HR role
Experience managing others
Experience designing and delivering skills-based training
Experience working with global/cross-cultural teams
CIPD qualified (or equivalent)
Experience working with/managing teams in the Global South or Africa region
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.