We are looking for a passionate, self-motivated individual who is experienced in the principles and practice of community development and empowerment within communities, and who is keen to join our highly committed team.
We strongly encourage applications from Gypsy, Roma and Traveller people. We will offer an interview to Gypsy, Roma and Traveller applicants who meet the essential criteria for the role.
The role sits in LGT’s Community Development Team, which brings together skills and expertise in policy and research, campaigns, communications, community engagement as well as lived experience. Our approach to influencing change is rooted in the experiences and concerns of Gypsies and Travellers working in and alongside the organisation, which shape our policy, campaigns, and communications work. We see the role of community development as supporting people to build a collective voice and take action together on issues affecting their lives.
The role involves:
- developing relationships and trust through outreach to Gypsy and Traveller families living on sites, housing and roadside encampments.
- working with groups and individuals in the Gypsy and Traveller community to develop the skills, knowledge and confidence to represent their community on issues and concerns, particularly around access to services, site provision and discrimination.
- working within the community development team and with Gypsy and Traveller activists in the development and delivery of creative campaigns
- Working closely with community leaders and activists providing support and training where needed to be effective change-makers.
- Liaising appropriately with other agencies, council officers, and local politicians and attending meetings and forums.
- Gaining an understanding of relevant policies on a local, regional and national level as well as relevant legislation
You will be based at LGT’s office located in the Mildmay community centre, Islington and will undertake outreach across a range of London boroughs.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A commitment to equality and challenging discrimination
- Demonstrable knowledge, skills and experience in community development work and advocacy with marginalised communities
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with other agencies
- Ability to take initiative and to work alone as well as within a team
- Knowledge and skills in project planning and evaluation.
- Ability to work flexibly to respond to changing needs of the Traveller community and the organisation and to prioritise work within the resources available.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral, with a wide range of audiences. Good basic IT and administrative skills and the ability to write reports and keep accessible records.
- Previous experience of working with Gypsy, Traveller, Roma communities
- Knowledge, experience and skills in campaigning and influencing policy on a local, regional and national level.
- Recognised training in community development practice
Are you interested? Come and hear more about our organisation’s work, meet our team, and chat informally about the roles we are currently recruiting.
Join us for an open evening on 29th September 6.30pm
Venue: Mildmay Community Centre, Woodville Road, London N16 8NA
Please email LGT's info email address if you would like to come
How to apply: Please submit a CV and detailed cover letter addressing the following three headings:
1. Why you would like to work with London Gypsies and Travellers
2. How you meet the job specification
3. Why you believe you are suitable for the role.
Applications without a cover letter may not be considered.
Interviews will take place on 19th and 20th October 2021