We are looking for a passionate, self-motivated individual who is experienced in the principles and practice of youth and community work, and who is keen to join our highly committed team.
We strongly encourage applications from Gypsy, Roma and Traveller people. We will offer an interview to Gypsy, Roma and Traveller applicants who meet the essential criteria for the role.
The role involves working within the LGT team to develop and deliver the ‘Bright Futures’ youth programme which aims to increase opportunities for young Gypsies and Travellers to realise their potential and make informed choices. The programme aims to increase young people’s access to education, training and employment and to build their capacity to represent themselves and their community. This will involve working with young people and their parents through outreach, group work and individual work.
Role and responsibilities
- To be responsible for the development and delivery of LGTs work with young people within the aims of Bright Futures programme
- To undertake outreach in order to build relationships and increase the engagement of young people and parents in the programme
- To work directly with young people through small group work and one-to-one support
- To support young people’s access to education, training, employment, and other youth services.
- To coordinate the delivery of vocational taster courses and personal development for young people.
- To develop young people’s awareness of social change and support their involvement in youth activism in order to represent their community in LGT campaigns and wider forums
- To develop positive working relationships with a wide range of service providers and organisations.
- To undertake the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the programme including monitoring and reporting to funders.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Demonstrable knowledge, skills and experience in working with young people and parents.
- Ability take initiative and to work alone as well as within a team
- Ability to deliver skills training to small groups of young people in an accessible and engaging way
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with other agencies
- A commitment to equality and challenging discrimination
- Knowledge and skills in planning, evaluation and project management.
- Ability to work flexibly to respond to changing needs of the Traveller community and the organisation and to prioritise work within the resources available
- Good communication skills, both written and oral, with a wide range of people. Good basic IT and administrative skills and the ability to write reports and keep accessible records
- Previous experience of working with Gypsy, Traveller, Roma young people and parents
- Qualification in youth work and/or community development
- Experience of staff management
Are you interested? Come and hear more about our organisation’s work, meet our team, and chat informally about the roles we are currently recruiting.
Join us for an open evening on 29th September 6.30pm
Venue: Mildmay Community Centre, Woodville Road, London N16 8NA
Please email LGT's info email if you would like to come
Closing Date for Job applications: Monday 11th October 2021
How to apply: Please submit a CV and detailed cover letter addressing the following three headings:
1. Why you would like to work with London Gypsies and Travellers
2. How you meet the job specification
3. Why you believe you are suitable for the role.
Applications without a cover letter may not be considered.