Recruiting for a part time Income and Rents Officer (12 month FTC) to join our Young Peoples service in Hounslow!
GBP 13,000 per annum, 20 hours per week (12 month FTC) plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more
Hounslow Young People Services is looking for a dedicated and target driven Income and Rents Officer who can maximise the service's rental income collection, effectively manage rent arrears and deal with other breaches of the occupancy agreement.
Managing a patch of 75 units across our 6 sites, the post holder will ensure that challenging rent collection targets are met but also that everything is done to avoid eviction. Personal qualities are as important in this role as work experience.
Working alongside Central Housing Officer and a large support team, the post holder will be responsible for overseeing the delivery of proactive and preventive income collection management to enable all of our customers to sustain their tenancies and develop finical management skills to prepare for independent living in the community. The post holder will be expected to meet tight rent collection KPI's and work in partnership with agencies such as Children Services, Social Services and LBH Housing teams to prevent evictions.
In order to effectively deliver the key accountabilities of the role, the post holder will need to work closely with Support Workers to empower customers to meet their rental responsibilities.
Strong interpersonal and stakeholder management skills are a pre-requisite to the role. The post holder will be extremely flexible and have the ability to effectively manage multiple rent accounts at one time.
We are flexible as to what hours are worked between Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm.
- Take responsibility for maximising rent collection across Hounslow Post holderng People services ensuring that rent collection targets are met and tenancies sustained
- Advise operational support team and work with the team to address arrears related activities, including holding surgeries with customers and staff, taking direct control of higher level and more complex arrears cases
- Work in partnership with Support staff and social service to ensure customers understand their rental responsibilities and agree with them how they will pay their rent
- Ensure that all sign ups within the services are done accurately on the correct type of tenancy and at the correct rent and service charge levels
- Lead on all Housing Benefit claims, support customers to apply for HB, support customers to apply for backdated HB if needed and make nil income HB claims if the customer does not have all their information
- Monitor rent accounts weekly for all customers checking for payments, Housing Benefit payments and actions needed.
- Regularly check local authority Housing Benefit portal to ensure payments are in place
- Ensure that there are effective and on going liaison processes in place with key agencies such as the housing benefit service , Department of Work and Pensions, the Job Centre and local debt advice agencies
- Lead on group and one to one workshops for customers to address any support needs relating to financial management, budgeting or maintaining a tenancy
- Develop and promote financial inclusion initiatives in the service such as advertising credit unions and local debt management advice services
- Follow up on all actions set out by the Housing Officer, liaise with support staff and management to ensure income collection is maximised and customers do not incur arrears
- Ensure that the rent collection function is carried out both sensitively and in a timely fashion so as to avoid the build up of excessive arrears and record all case details accurately.
- Develop preventive arrears action plan for each customer and meet with Support staff to review problematic cases and action plans
- Proactively monitor all current and former accounts and make recommendations to the Housing Officer for appropriate former accounts to be written off or referred to Look Ahead's debt collection agency
- Liaise with Housing offer to prepare files and documents for legal action
- Accurately and comprehensively record all actions on the housing management system and use reports from the housing management system to manage cases and monitor performance
- Ensure that confidentiality and data protection is maintained throughout the service including all information held in whatever form
- Assist in the training of new support staff in the tenancy aspects of support for customers
- Any other relevant tasks as required by the Service Manager.
This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time and is subject to change in accordance with the needs of Look Ahead.