Recruiting a Night Support Worker to join our Homelessness and Complex Needs service in Hammersmith and Fulham!
GBP 18,167.50 per annum plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more. This role is working 32.5 hours per week.
The Coninghams is a 31-bed service for single homeless men and women who have links within the borough. It acts as the assessment centre for the homeless entering supported housing. This also involves putting in the foundations around basic living skills and preparing individuals for into appropriate supported accommodation dependant upon support needs. The Assessment Centre consists of five self-contained units and 26 en-suite bedrooms, with shared kitchen facilities. The scheme has 24-hour staffing, with Night Support worker and concierge cover during the evenings.
Night Support Workers enable people with particular needs to manage their tenancies and live independent lives of their choosing in the community. Night Support Workers are responsible for ensuring continuity of a support service at night and for keeping customers and the building safe.
- Building supportive, trusting relationships with customers and creating a positive atmosphere
- Working proactively with other members of the team to handle the service caseload and administrative responsibilities
- Conducting key work sessions as required, that are innovative and engaging in order to achieve Support Plan goals
- Ensuring ongoing assessment and management of risks associated with customers within an attitude of 'positive risk taking'
- Providing support with daily living activities, including practical assistance to support customers to independent living e.g. budgeting, cooking, establishing a night time routine
- Supporting customers to maintain a healthy environment and where appropriate assisting them to clean their accommodation and maintain good personal hygiene
- Report any observations relating to customers welfare
- Assisting in the recording and reporting of customer incidents
- Updating the database on each customer when necessary
- Managing customer referrals, completing assessments and obtaining and maintaining all relevant paperwork
- Developing productive relationships with partner organisations to improve service outcomes
- Carry out security duties through locality checks to ensure the safety of the customers and premises.
- Adhering to lone working protocols and maintaining high levels of awareness in relation to the health and safety of yourself and colleagues
- Involving customers in the design, development and delivery of the service
- Ensuring Look Ahead Health and Safety policies and local protocols are adhered to at all times e.g. fire risk assessments, fire alarm checks etc.
- Taking on shift leading responsibilities by coordinating and leading shifts in the absence of a manager
- Be the lead person on a delegated task
- Being responsible for the handover of key information between shifts
- Adhering to all other Look Ahead's policies and procedures
- Participate in team meetings once a month /reviews and the general development of the service
- Engaging in learning and development activity to increase knowledge and skills
- Undertaking any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as assigned by the Team Leader/ Manager
- Enjoys social interaction and the company of others, joins in local activities to encourage customer involvement
- Exudes a warm friendly presence and open behaviour
- Is fundamentally calm and resilient, does not let emotion adversely affect them or obscure their judgement
- Has a practical and logical mind and is naturally well organized
- Able to apply the right balance of care and support dependant on the needs of the customer
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- NVQ Level 2/3 or equivalent with some previous relevant sector work experience
For the full job description, please visit the Look Ahead website.
More about Look Ahead Care and Support
Refreshed on: 27 May 2020
Closed date: 10 June 2020
Job ref: REQ001881
Tags: Support Worker, Social Work