Recruiting for a Specialist Behavioural Support Worker to join our Service in Welwyn Garden City!
GBP 20,134 per annum, 40 hours per week, plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more.
Specialist Behaviour Support Workers are responsible for supporting people with learning disabilities and behavioural needs to live full lives, develop skills and maintain their wellbeing. The Welwyn Supported Living Service will be a new home for one customer with learning disabilities and Autism, and we are looking to build a staff team with an excellent value base to support the customer to build their new life and develop their skills as an independent person.
- Supporting the customer to undertake a full timetable of preferred activities including art, visiting galleries, attending community groups, visiting local amenities, and introducing them to new activities to expand their horizons and networks
- Developing the customer's independent living skills and involving them in all aspects of maintaining and developing their home, including cooking, shopping, cleaning and decorating
- Enabling the customer to keep up with the important people in their life and to meet new people with shared interests
- Supporting the customer to communicate their wants and needs, and communicating with them in a person-centred way
- Supporting the customer to manage their anxieties and frustrations, using Positive Behaviour Support and Autism-specific approaches
- Collating a range of behavioural data and essential paperwork to be analysed within our local management structure
- Driving the customer to activities using the customer's vehicle, in rotation with the wider team
- Communicating with family members and a range of other key stakeholders including social work, psychology and commissioning teams
- Acting in accordance with the policies and procedures of Look Ahead Care & Support plus those specific to the service including any statutory requirements
- Consistently reviewing the customer's life goals and their progress towards achieving them, in partnership with them and those important to them
- Supporting the customer with personal care
- Reporting any observations relating to customer welfare
- Maintaining records as required at the project
- Participating in team meetings/reviews, support planning, risk management and the general development of the service
- Undertaking any other duties as requested by management
As we have other support services locally, we may also require you to undertake support duties at other locations, subject to agreement at interview stage. As we have other support services locally, we may also require you to undertake support duties at other locations, subject to agreement at interview stage.
- Enjoys social interaction and the company of others, joins in local activities to encourage customer involvement
- Exudes a warm friendly presence and open behaviour
- Prefers working as part of a group or team
- Is fundamentally calm and resilient
- Has a practical and logical mind and is naturally well organised
- Thrives on change and enjoys dynamic diverse environments
- Is confident with high levels of self-esteem
- Is respectful, articulate and sensitive in style of communication
- Is motivated towards excellence and improvement of personal performance with a can do attitude
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- NVQ Level 2 or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with customers with Autism/Challenging Behaviour/learning disabilities
- Driving licence and a willingness to drive as part of support duties;
- Experience of facilitating creative activities for vulnerable adults
We reserve the right to close this advert early if we are able to appoint to the vacancy before the advertised closed date. We are committed to diversity and inclusion at work and are accredited with the Inclusive Employers Standard 2020. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds.