Recruiting for a Specialist Behavioural Support Worker to join our Learning Disabilities Service in Hertfordshire!
GBP 20,135 working 40 hours per week, plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more. This is based in Hemel Hempstead.
Specialist Behaviour Support Workers are responsible for supporting people with learning disabilities and behavioural needs to live full lives, develop skills and maintain their wellbeing.
We are looking for a team of skilled, creative and experienced support workers to support one customer in her own home in Hemel Hempstead. The customer is currently living in a hospital setting and we are looking to build a new team to support her make a successful move to her new home. This team must have an excellent value base to support the customer to build their new life and develop their skills and passions as an independent person.
- Supporting the customer to lead a full and active life and do things they enjoy, sensitively and persistently trying to new things to open up new opportunities for the customer
- Developing the customer's independent living skills and involving them in aspects of maintaining and developing their home, including cooking, shopping, cleaning and decorating
- Supporting the customer in their sensory routine, trialling and testing new sensory experiences
- Supporting the customer to communicate their wants and needs and develop new ways of doing this, communicating with them in a person-centred way
- Supporting the customer to manage their anxieties, using Positive Behaviour Support and Autism-specific approaches
- Collating a range of behavioural data and essential paperwork to be analysed within our local management structure
- Driving the customer's (manual) vehicle to support them to go about their daily life
- Communicating with a range of other key stakeholders including social work, psychology and commissioning teams
- Acting in accordance with the policies and procedures of Look Ahead Care & Support plus those specific to the service including any statutory requirements
- Consistently reviewing the customer's life goals and their progress towards achieving them, in partnership with them and those important to them
- Supporting the customer with personal care
- Reporting any observations relating to customer welfare
- Maintaining records as required at the project
- Participating in team meetings/reviews, support planning, risk management and the general development of the service
- Undertaking any other duties as requested by management
This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required and is subject to change in accordance with the needs of the customers and Look Ahead. As we have other support services locally, we may also require you to undertake support duties at other locations, subject to agreement at interview stage.
- Enjoys social interaction and the company of others, joins in with the hobbies and interests of the customer and is able to facilitate connections with new people and places
- Has a reasonable level of physical fitness and is able / likes to participate in active pursuits such as running and swimming
- Is confident enough to try new things and take positive risks on a regular basis
- Exudes a warm friendly and fun presence
- Prefers working as part of a group or team
- Is fundamentally calm and resilient, does not let emotion adversely affect them or obscure their judgement
- Has a practical and logical mind and is naturally well organised
- Thrives on change and enjoys dynamic diverse environments
- Is persistent and determined in adverse circumstances
- Is respectful, articulate and sensitive in style of communication
- Is motivated towards excellence and improvement of personal performance with a can do attitude
- Ability to cope positively with challenging and diverse behaviour
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- NVQ Level 2 or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with customers with Autism/Challenging Behaviour/learning disabilities
- Driving licence and a willingness to drive as part of support duties
- Experience of engaging vulnerable people with complex needs in meaningful activities
For the full job description, please visit the Look Ahead website.