Recruiting a Specialist Support Worker to join our Mental Health Service in Tower Hamlets!
GBP 23,000 per annum plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more. This role is working 40 hours per week.
Teresa House and Hamlets Way provide supported accommodation for customers with mental health needs who require a high level of support. Teresa House is a high support, fast stream mental health service, from which customers are expected to move on within two years. Hamlets Way is a high support, slow stream mental health service with customer move on expected within four years. Each service is made up of 16 units and operates 24 hours a day. The role requires shift working including weekends and evenings, but there are no sleep ins required at the service.
Specialist Support Workers within Look Ahead are required to have either an extra dimension of experience or a higher qualification level as determined relevant for the particular post. Specialist Support Workers provide information, social inclusion and vocational opportunities to support people to recover and stay well; exercise choice and control in their care and lives; and participate on an equal footing in the community. Support is also provided to develop a model of re-enablement towards self-advocacy, self-management and empowerment, incorporating the principles and practice of recovery, co-production and peer support.
- Building supportive, trusting relationships with customers and creating a positive atmosphere
- Carrying out holistic assessments of new customers which incorporate relevant statutory referral information
- Conducting regular key work sessions that are innovative and engaging in order to achieve Support Plan goals
- Create support plans for providing appropriate services based on on-going assessment and reflecting the services and resources available to enable customer to progress in their recovery
- Ensuring ongoing assessment and management of risks associated with customers within an attitude of 'positive risk taking
- Provide support and access to relevant services to enable customers to continue their recovery and empower customers to self-manage their medication regimes through individual re-enablement programmes and informed decision making
- Undertake support work in partnership with external stakeholders to compliment their interventions
- Developing productive relationships with partner organisations to improve service outcomes
- Demonstrate strong commitment to the functioning of the staff team and to support colleagues in providing a high level of service and safety to customers
- Involving customers in the design, development and delivery of the service
- Adhering to lone working protocols and maintaining high levels of awareness in relation to the health and safety of yourself and colleagues
- Ensuring Look Ahead Health and Safety policies and local protocols are adhered to at all times e.g. fire risk assessments, fire alarm checks etc.
- Being responsible for the handover of key information between shifts
- Provide structured support and guidance to other front line staff in their area of expertise
- To lead groups and activities - offering a range of appropriate therapeutic and recovery focused interactions and activities
- Carrying out reflective practice within the team
- Leading on monthly resident meetings
- Adhering to all other Look Ahead's policies and procedures. Engaging in learning and development activity to increase knowledge and skills
- Undertaking any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as assigned by the Team Leader/ Manager
- Enjoys social interaction and the company of others, joins in local activities to encourage customer involvement
- Exudes a warm friendly presence and open behaviour
- Prefers working as part of a group or team
- Is fundamentally calm and resilient, does not let emotion adversely affect them or obscure their judgement
- Has a practical and logical mind and is naturally well organised
- Thrives on change and enjoys dynamic diverse environments
- Is confident with high levels of self-esteem
- Is respectful, articulate and sensitive in style of communication
- Is motivated towards excellence and improvement of personal performance with a can do attitude
- Ability to cope positively with challenging and diverse behaviour
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- NVQ Level 2/3 or equivalent with some or equivalent sector work experience