Recruiting for two Specialist Support Workers to join our Mental Health service in Islington!
GBP 12,000 per annum plus 25 days Annual Leave (pro-rata), Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more working 20 hours per week.
Islington Crisis House offer 24/7 crisis accommodation to customers with mental health needs who require a high level of support, it is a 'high support fast stream' mental health service consisting of 12 units, with move-on expected within two weeks. We are part of the projects pathway in the borough and receive our referrals from the Crisis Teams and mental health wards in the borough. However we can also take self referrals or referrals from other sources such as local substance services and GP's. We also take referrals from neighbouring boroughs such as North Camden. This is a really great opportunity for anyone with clinical interest as the service is delivered in partnership with Camden and Islington MH Trust.
Specialist Support Workers within Look Ahead are required to have either an extra dimension of experience or a higher qualification level as determined relevant for the particular post. Specialist Support Workers provide information, social inclusion and vocational opportunities to support people to recover and stay well; exercise choice and control in their care and lives; and participate on an equal footing in the community. Support is also provided to develop a model of re-enablement towards self-advocacy, self-management and empowerment, incorporating the principles and practice of recovery, co-production and peer support.
This role will focus on Family and Carer Liaison as a specialism, integrating Islington Crisis House with third sector agencies, and providing information to staff and customers on the local opportunities. The role will therefore involve a high level of external agency liaison, and will require the successful applicant to be proactive and personable.
- Building supportive, trusting relationships with customers and creating a positive atmosphere
- Carrying out holistic assessments of new customers which incorporate relevant statutory referral information
- Supporting move in and move out of customers, including readying rooms post-discharge and completing inductions of new customers
- Holding a caseload where relevant (usually for customers with complex family dynamics and needs, or with complex care requirements - note the role will not involve personal care).
- Conducting regular key work sessions that are innovative and engaging in order to achieve Support Plan goals
- Create support plans for providing appropriate services based on on-going assessment and reflecting the services and resources available to enable customer to progress in their recovery
- Ensuring ongoing assessment and management of risks associated with customers within an attitude of 'positive risk taking
- Provide support and access to relevant services to enable customers to continue their recovery and empower customers to self-manage their medication regimes through individual re-enablement programmes and informed decision making, which may include undertaking medication witnessing and administrative tasks
- Developing productive relationships with partner organisations to improve service outcomes
- Demonstrate strong commitment to the functioning of the staff team and to support colleagues in providing a high level of service and safety to customers
- Involving customers in the design, development and delivery of the service
- Adhering to lone working protocols and maintaining high levels of awareness in relation to the health and safety of yourself and colleagues
- Ensuring Look Ahead Health and Safety policies and local protocols are adhered to at all times e.g. fire risk assessments, fire alarm checks etc.
- Being responsible for the handover of key information between shifts
- Provide structured support and guidance to other front line staff regarding opportunities with care and family support services such as Carer's Hub, advocacy services etc.
- Adhering to all other Look Ahead's policies and procedures. Engaging in learning and development activity to increase knowledge and skills
- Undertaking any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as assigned by the Team Leader/ Manager
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- NVQ Level 2/3 or equivalent with some or equivalent sector work experience
- Experience working with family services, advocacy services or other equivalent
For the full job description, please visit the Look Ahead website.