Recruiting a Specialist Support Worker to join our Mental Health Service in Tower Hamlets!
£23,000 per annum, 40 hours per week, plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension Scheme, staff discounts, healthcare and more.
Tabard Court provides 24-hour support for men, aged 18-74, who have severe and enduring mental health needs together with a significant offending history. Many customers have led chaotic lifestyles and need support with medication and daily living skills. The service works in close partnership with key agencies, providing stability and a stepping stone to independent living for those moving from residential care, other supported accommodation, hospital or prison.
Specialist Support Workers work within a multi disciplinary team, providing support to customers with a range of mental health needs and who have had contact with the Criminal Justice System. This will include support with emotional, social, physical & domestic needs. You will be skilled in engaging both customers and stakeholders and have a good understanding of the needs and diversity of this client group. You will be able to demonstrate the ability to work in a therapeutic environment that at times can be challenging and provide quality, evidence based care and risk management strategies. You will be highly motivated and committed to continuous professional development. You will be the first point of contact and support for a patch of 4-6 customers, with the capacity to support additional customers when you colleagues are away from the service. You will work flexibly to respond to emerging needs and effectively address the needs of the customer group. This role will include shift working including: weekends, Bank Holidays, early & late shifts and sleep in duties.
- If a need arises, deliver all aspects of support to enable a customer to develop independent living skills as appropriate to the individual needs of the customer
- Specialist Support Workers support customers to undertake all domestic tasks wherever possible, including practical assistance where customers have not yet developed the skills, to ensure they enjoy a high quality of accommodation
- Participate in the support planning and risk management, including maintaining a live document for each customer
- Carry out security duties to ensure the safety of the customers and premises
- Monitor the CCTV throughout the shift
- Enable customers to make full use of community facilities by providing support as directed
- Carry out support duties to enable customers to integrate into the community including e.g. accompanying the customer to attend benefit agency appointments and meetings, go shopping, to enquire at colleges about possible courses, to visit various public amenities
- Report any observations relating to customers welfare, taking a Relational Security approach to individual risk
- Adhere to all the policies and procedures of Look Ahead Care, Support & Housing plus those specific to the project including any statutory requirements
- Ensure Look Ahead Health and Safety policies and local protocols are adhered to at all times
- Maintain digital and physical records as required at the project under the direction of the management team
- Participate in team meetings/reviews and the general development of the service
- Liaise professionally and confidently with members of the multidisciplinary team, including forensic psychiatric consultants on the specific needs of individual customers
- Undertake any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as may be reasonably assigned
This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time and is subject to change in accordance with the needs of Look Ahead.
- Exudes a warm friendly presence and open behaviour
- Prefers working as part of a group or team
- Is fundamentally calm and resilient, does not let emotion adversely affect them or obscure their judgement
- Open to feedback and self development
- Has a practical and logical mind and is naturally well organised
- Thrives on change and enjoys dynamic diverse environments
- Is confident with high levels of self-esteem
- Is respectful, articulate and sensitive in style of communication
- Is motivated towards excellence and improvement of personal performance with a can do attitude
- Enjoys social interaction and the company of others, joins in local activities to encourage customer involvement
- Ability to cope positively with challenging and diverse behaviour
For more information or to apply please visit our website.