Recruiting a Support Worker (6 month FTC) to join our Young Peoples Service in Barking and Dagenham!
GBP 22,360 per annum, 40 hours per week, 6 month FTC plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more.
Summerfield House is a 24 hour Supported Accommodation based service that houses and supports 24 mothers, under single occupancy, between the ages of 16 and 25 who are pregnant or have children, and have multiple/complex support needs based on their current or past experiences including, but not limited to, MH, DV, Housing Management, Arrears/Financial Management, Daily Living Skills, Parenting and access to community based external services. The service consists of a mixture of 10 one bedroom, 12 two bedroom, and 2 three bedroom self contained flats. Referrals are received, assessed and accepted, based on a set out criteria, through our Local Authority LBBD Housing Options Services, Leaving Care (Learn 2 Live) and Children's Services.
The aim of the service is to support our young mothers to be able to provide a stable and supportive home environment for them and their family. This includes skills to budget effectively, to manage risks they encounter, and to sustain a tenancy independently. This is achieved through personalised support planning, and strong partnership working with external agencies, including Children's Social Services.
We aim to empower our young parents with the skills to have choice and control over their own lives. This may be through: access to ETE; family planning (and sexual health) education; confidence building activities; and parenting programmes.
Look Ahead is also the landlord and as such we are responsible for Housing Management.
Support Workers will provide support to customers to help them develop the life skills they require to meet the assessed needs of the customers of the service. They will work with customers to promote social inclusion and alongside other members of the team to promote independent living, encouraging customers to maximise their skills and choices.
- Building supportive, trusting relationships with customers
- Working proactively with other members of the team to handle the service caseload and administrative responsibilities
- Supporting all customers to set personalised goals in the form of a Support Plan
- Conducting regular key work sessions for all key customers that are innovative and engaging in order to achieve Support Plan goals
- Ensuring ongoing assessment and management of risks associated with customers within an attitude of 'positive risk taking'
- Proactively manage risk and safety both in and outside of their physical living environment
- Providing support with daily living activities, including practical assistance where skills are not yet developed, to ensure that customers enjoy a high quality of accommodation
- Proactive development of links with local statutory and voluntary organisations to provide a range of engagement opportunities for customers in the community
- Involving customers in the design, development and delivery of the service
- Empowering customers to ensure they receive the service and benefits they are entitled to
- Encouraging and enabling tenants to pay their rent and ensure that rent accounts are managed effectively
- Ensuring Look Ahead Health and Safety policies are adhered to at all time and to uphold all health and safety responsibilities within relevant policies and local protocols
- Adhering to all other Look Ahead's policies and procedures
- Engaging in learning and development activity to increase knowledge and skills
- Day to day instruction/ supervision of Bank Support Workers where appropriate
- Undertaking any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as assigned by the Manager
This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time and is subject to change in accordance with the needs of Look Ahead.