How to apply
Recruiting a Support Worker (Forensic Mental Health) to join our Mental Health service in Tower Hamlets!
GBP 21,944 per annum plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more
This role is a 40 hour per week.
Support Workers (Forensic Mental Health) will provide support to customers with mental health needs that have a connection to the criminal justice services. They will help customers develop the life skills they require to meet their assessed needs. This will include providing physical, domestic, emotional and social care. They will work with customers to manage their tenancies, promote social inclusion and alongside other members of the team to promote independent living, encouraging customers to maximise their skills and choices.
Role Specific Competencies: Theory, Knowledge and Practice
- Has knowledge of mental health needs and ability to identify behaviours associated with individual relapse triggers
- Has an understanding of the signs and symptoms associated with serious mental illness and the impact mental disorders can have on the individual
- Has an understanding of the roles of different professionals and agencies involved in care for people with a forensic history and a mental illness e.g. CMHT's, Responsible
Clinicians and Social Supervisors
- Is able to contribute to risk management and the evidence-based principles of relational security
- Is able to contribute to recovery-orientated approaches and delivering a flexible and personalised service
- Has an understanding of medication management and reporting systems
- Has an understanding of the impact of drug and alcohol misuse on people with mental health problems
- Is able to work with service users to maintain strategies that sustain reduced offending behaviours
- Has the ability to reflect continues practice development in ones own work
- Has a working knowledge of safeguarding procedures and the ability to sustain strategies that are developed through these arrangements
- If a need arises, deliver all aspects of support to enable a customer to develop independent living skills as appropriate to the individual needs of the customer. In some services, this will include delivering personal and physical care as appropriate
- Support customers to undertake all domestic tasks wherever possible, including practical assistance where they have not yet developed the skills, to ensure customers enjoy a high quality of accommodation
- Participate in the support planning and risk management, as facilitated by the lead Support Worker.
- Carry out security duties to ensure the safety of the customers and premises
- Monitor the CCTV throughout the shift
- Enable customers to make full use of community facilities by providing support as directed
- Carry out support duties to enable customers to integrate into the community including e.g. accompanying the customer to attend benefit agency appointments and meetings, go shopping, to enquire at colleges about possible courses, to visit various public amenities
- Report any observations relating to customers welfare
- Adhere to all the policies and procedures of Look Ahead Care & Support plus those specific to the project including any statutory requirements
- Ensure Look Ahead Health and Safety policies and local protocols are adhered to at all times.
- Maintain records as required at the project under the direction of the support workers / management
- Participate in team meetings/reviews and the general development of the service.
- Undertake any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as may be reasonably assigned
This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time and is subject to change in accordance with the needs of Look Ahead.
- Enjoys social interaction and the company of others, joins in local activities to encourage customer involvement
- Exudes a warm friendly presence and open behaviour
- Prefers working as part of a group or team
- Is fundamentally calm and resilient, does not let emotion adversely affect them or obscure their judgement
- Has a practical and logical mind and is naturally well organised
- Thrives on change and enjoys dynamic diverse environments
- Is confident with high levels of self-esteem
- Is respectful, articulate and sensitive in style of communication
- Is motivated towards excellence and improvement of personal performance with a can do attitude
- Ability to cope positively with challenging and diverse behaviour
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- NVQ Level 2 or equivalent
Please note that we have the right to close any vacancy before the advertised closing date if we have received a high number of applications.
If your application for this role is unsuccessful, but we feel that you would be suitable for another role, we may contact you to discuss alternative opportunities. If this occurs you would not need to submit another application for the alternative role.