How to apply
Recruiting a Support Worker to join our Homelessness and Complex Needs service in Tower Hamlets!
GBP 10,972 per annum plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more
This role is a 20 hour per week.
Tower Hamlets Rehab Service provides accommodation in 11 self-contained flats and supports customers in their recovery and rehabilitation in the community. The service offers a new partnership approach that combines the skills of its own support team with the clinical expertise of the NHS Community Rehab & Recovery Team. Staff from the latter,including the consultant psychiatrist, attend weekly team meetings at the service and are involved in the assessment and ongoing support of all customers.
There is a large staff team at Daniel Gilbert House: one contract manger, two team leaders, one specialist worker in substance misuse, 9 support workers, four night workers
and one peer mentor. The team are and customers are supported by a resettlement worker two days a week and alcohol and substance misuse worker two days per week.
Support workers have a key worker case load of 8 to 9 customers. Customers are supported to identify and meet their SMART goals around substance misuse, mental health,
physical health, employment and training and life skills working in partnership with external agencies.
We have 5 placements for rough sleepers with a pet such as a cat or a dog.
Support worker shifts are 7.30 to 3.30pm or 2pm to 10pm.
To enable vulnerable people to manage their placements and move towards greater independence within the community by providing a flexible and individually tailored support package.
- Undertake key-working responsibilities for a caseload assigned by the Team Leader / Manager
- Undertake initial and continuous assessment of needs and potential risks and agree levels of support and actions
- Create support/action plans for providing appropriate services based on the assessment and reflecting the services and resources available
- Support customers to undertake all domestic tasks wherever possible, including practical assistance where they have not yet developed the skills, to ensure customers enjoy a high quality of accommodation
- Support customers to move on from the service through their identified move on pathway liaising with Tower Hamlet's HOST and Clearing House.
- Develop and maintain links with all key agencies and service providers in the local community
- Empower customers to ensure they receive the service and benefits they are entitled to
- Undertake all administrative work and keep accurate and comprehensive tenant/customer records to professional standards
- Encourage and enable tenants to pay their rent and to ensure that rent accounts are managed effectively in conjunction with the Housing Management team
- Ensure that referrals are chased proactively so that properties which can be used to house those in need are filled as efficiently as possible
- Engage in learning and development activity to increase knowledge and skills
- Ability to defuse challenging behaviour with awareness of personal safety.
- Adhere to Look Ahead's Policies and Procedures
-Undertake any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as may be reasonably assigned
This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time and is subject to change in accordance with the needs of Look Ahead.
- Enjoys social interaction and the company of others, joins in local activities to encourage customer involvement
- Approachable and open behaviour
- Prefers working as part of a group or team
- Is fundamentally calm and resilient, does not let emotion adversely affect them or obscure their judgement
- Has a practical and logical mind and is naturally well organised
- Thrives on change and enjoys dynamic diverse environments
- Is confident with high levels of self-esteem
- Is respectful, articulate and sensitive in style of communication
- Is essentially customer-focused
- Is motivated towards excellence and improvement of personal performance with a can do attitude
- Ability to cope positively with challenging and diverse behaviours
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Up to NVQ Level 2/3 or equivalent or experience in the social care/charity sector.
Please note that we have the right to close any vacancy before the advertised closing date if we have received a high number of applications.
If your application for this role is unsuccessful, but we feel that you would be suitable for another role, we may contact you to discuss alternative opportunities. If this occurs you would not need to submit another application for the alternative role.