Recruiting a Support Worker to join our Learning Disability service in Tower Hamlets!
GBP 21,944 per annum, 40 hours per week plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more.
Antill Road Day Service provides for 26 customers with a learning disability who live in the borough and majority of them live with their family. The service works in close partnership with social services and community learning disability agencies, as well as parents and carers and other key support agencies.Customers receive a fixed core support and personal care. There is an open door policy for customers and the current office opening times are Monday to Friday - 9am-5pm. However service hours may change in future to Monday to Friday - 8am to 6pm & Saturday 8am to 4pm.
Support Workers will provide support to customers to help them develop the life skills they require to meet the assessed needs of the customers of the service. In some services, this will include providing physical, domestic, emotional and social care. They will work with customers to promote social inclusion and alongside other members of the team to promote independent living, encouraging customers to maximise their skills and choices.
- If a need arises, deliver all aspects of support to enable a customer to develop independent living skills as appropriate to the individual needs of the customer. In some services, this will include delivering personal and physical care as appropriate
- Support customer's practical assistance where they have not yet developed the skills
- Participate in the support planning and risk management. Enable customers to make full use of community facilities by providing support as directed
- Enable customers to make full use of leisure and learning-based opportunities in the service as well as in the community by providing support as directed e.g. Gym, swimming and visiting various public amenities
- Supporting customers in the delivery of their prescribed health, physio, nutritional and sensory routines with guidance from/in partnership with external healthcare professionals
- Partnership working with a range of stakeholders including families, healthcare professionals, external personal assistants other support agencies to maximise outcomes for customers
- Providing support around personal care and mobility as well as the moving and handling of customers with physical disabilities/wheelchair users
- Report any observations relating to customers welfare
- Adhere to all the policies and procedures of Look Ahead Care, Support & Housing plus those specific to the project including any statutory requirements
- Ensure Look Ahead Health and Safety policies and local protocols are adhered to at all times
- Maintain records as required at the project under the direction of the Support Workers/ management
- Participate in team meetings/reviews and the general development of the service
- Undertake any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as may be reasonably assigned
This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time and is subject to change in accordance with the needs of Look Ahead.
- Exudes a warm friendly presence and open behaviour
- Prefers working as part of a group or team
- Is fundamentally calm and resilient, does not let emotion adversely affect them or obscure their judgement
- Open to feedback and self development
- Has a practical and logical mind and is naturally well organised
- Thrives on change and enjoys dynamic diverse environments
- Is confident with high levels of self-esteem
- Is respectful, articulate and sensitive in style of communication
- Is motivated towards excellence and improvement of personal performance with a can do attitude
- Enjoys social interaction and the company of others, joins in local activities to encourage customer involvement
- Ability to cope positively with challenging and diverse behaviour
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- NVQ Level 2 or equivalent or experience within charity/social care sector
- Experience in working with people with Learning Disabilities and Autism
Interviews will be taking place week commencing 9th December 2019.
Please note that we have the right to close any vacancy before the advertised closing date if we have received a high number of applications.
If your application for this role is unsuccessful, but we feel that you would be suitable for another role, we may contact you to discuss alternative opportunities. If this occurs you would not need to submit another application for the alternative role.