Recruiting for a Support Worker to join our Young People Service in West Kent.
GBP 20,000 per annum plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more. This role is working 40 hours per week and is based in Maidstone and Tonbridge.
The Young People's Support Worker will work within Look Ahead's flexible supported accommodation and floating support for Children in Care, Care Leavers and Homeless 16/17-year old. The role manages the initial period from when a child or young person is first referred to ensuring a smooth arrival and transition to planning their exit from the service including identifying suitable long-term accommodation and managing their expectations.
This hybrid role will also work across the West Kent area, flexibly providing floating support for those young people living in their own accommodation and ensure that they are enabled to develop their resilience and independence.
- Building open and supportive, trusting relationships with customers and creating a positive atmosphere
- Carrying out holistic assessments of new customers which incorporate relevant statutory referral information
- Conducting regular key work sessions that are innovative and engaging in order to achieve Support Plan goals
- Ensuring ongoing assessment and management of risks associated with customers within an attitude of 'positive risk taking'
- Support customers to undertake all domestic tasks wherever possible, including practical assistance where they have not yet developed the skills, to ensure customers enjoy a high quality of accommodation
- Develop and maintain links with all key agencies and service providers in the local community
- Empower customers (where relevant) to ensure they receive the service and benefits they are entitled to
- Developing productive relationships with partner organisations to improve service outcomes
- Demonstrate strong commitment to the functioning of the staff team and to support colleagues in providing a high level of service and safety to customers
- Involving customers in the design, development and delivery of the service
- Adhere to Look Ahead's Policies and Procedures
- Engage in learning and development activity to increase knowledge and skills
- Engage positively in reflective practice sessions with colleagues
- Undertake any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as may be reasonably assigned
This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time and is subject to change in accordance with the needs of Look Ahead.
- Enjoys social interaction and the company of others, joins in local activities to encourage customer involvement
- Approachable and open behaviour
- Prefers working as part of a group or team
- Is fundamentally calm and resilient, does not let emotion adversely affect them or obscure their judgement
- Has a practical and logical mind and is naturally well organised
- Open to feedback and self development
- Thrives on change and enjoys dynamic diverse environments
- Is confident with high levels of self-esteem
- Is respectful, articulate and sensitive in style of communication
- Is essentially customer-focused
- Is motivated towards excellence and improvement of personal performance with a can do attitude
- Ability to cope positively with challenging and diverse behaviours
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Up to NVQ Level 2/3 or equivalent or experience in the social care/charity sector
- Experience working in vulnerable young people
- Full Driving Licence and access to use of vehicle
More about Look Ahead Care and Support
Posted on: 25 November 2019
Closing date: 23 December 2019
Job ref: REQ001507
Tags: Support Worker