Recruiting a Support Worker (Maternity Cover until October 2021) to join our Homelessness and Complex Needs Service in Westminster!
£22,360 per annum, 40 hours per week plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more.
This role requires working on a rota basis: 7am-3pm, 8am-4pm, 12pm-8m, 1pm-9pm and including weekends.
Edward Alsop Court provides accommodation for men over 50 with complex needs around health, mobility, alcohol use, or personality disorder. There are 29 self-catering beds for men over 35 with low needs, to prepare them for independent living. Specialist support is provided around re-offending behaviour, mental health issues, and substance misuse. EAC implements and promotes supporting people out of homelessness, particularly those with complex trauma or a diagnosis of personality disorder. The post holder will work at Edward Alsop Court Hostel a support accommodation service for men with complex needs supporting men with complex substance use, mental and physical health and offending behaviours, and those who are nearing their end of life. The project offers 24 hour high support providing 79 bed spaces. Support is delivered by a team of Support Workers, Specialist Support Workers and Night Support Workers.
The service sits in the heart of Westminster. Westminster is a high profile borough, with extensive network partners in ending homelessness and understanding of the needs of entrenched rough sleepers. Westminster offers extensive training opportunities and the service provides good work experience for psychology or social worker graduates. Edward Alsop Court Hostel works in partnerships with Westminster Council, The Passage, The Connection at St.Martin's, St.Mungo's, Turning Point, CGL, SLAM and other specialised services. The team works closely with each resident to secure appropriate longer term accommodation from the beginning of their stay.
The ideal candidate will have good knowledge and understanding of homelessness and demonstrate the ability to manage a complex group with dynamic needs. We are looking for someone who is energetic, enthusiastic, non-judgemental, a team player, thrives on working under pressure, providing effective crisis intervention, able to assess the needs and risks of clients, demonstrate good problem solving skills, and can demonstrate excellent networking and partnerships. They will have excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) and will be good at using their own initiative. The post holder will receive regular supervision and casework management sessions and monthly reflective practice sessions.
- Undertake key-working responsibilities for a service-user caseload assigned by the Team Leader/Manager
- Empowering and providing holistic support to service-users with high complex needs, specifically; single homeless people with mental health and substance misuse problems, dual diagnosis and forensic histories
- Building working relationships with local authorities, health trusts the local community and local police to support our service-users
- To induct new clients in line with the service policy
- To complete onward referrals to identified move-on and support clients to prepare effectively for move on
- To support and encourage clients to undertake housekeeping and client duties as necessary in order to maintain a clean and safe physical environment
- To serve food in the kitchen to customers during breakfast and dinner on a rota basis
- Reporting safeguarding issues efficiently using Look Ahead protocol policies and procedures
- Providing support with daily living activities, including practical assistance where skills are not yet developed, to ensure that service-users enjoy a high quality of accommodation
- Advising service-users on benefits and financial difficulties
- Conducting face to face interviews and assessments to assess service-users suitability for the service
- Supporting service-users to set personalised goals in the form of a support plan
- Ensuring ongoing assessment and management of risk assessments with service-users
- Involving service-users in the development, design and delivery of the service
For more information or to apply please visit our website.