Recruiting for a Support Worker to join our Young People and Care Leavers Service in Newham!
GBP 22,360 per annum, 40 hours per week, plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more. This is a 6 month Fixed Term Contract role.
Ibis House and Little Ibis House are specialist semi-independent services for young care leavers aged 16-21, with capacity to also work with young parents and their child. Ibis House provides a high level of support to young people with a variety of complex needs and Little Ibis House provides a medium level of support. The services are staffed 24/7 to support young people manage and address their various support needs and learn basic life skills to live independently.
Support Workers will provide support to customers to help them develop the life skills they require to live independently. Support workers must monitor and assess the needs of the customers and provide creative and tailored person centred support to help them achieve their goals and aspirations. Support workers will work closely with statutory children's services and other external agencies to best support customers to promote social inclusion and teach independent living skills. Support workers will empower and encourage customers to maximise their skills and choices.
- Building supportive, trusting relationships with customers
- Working proactively with other members of the team to handle the service caseload and administrative responsibilities
- Supporting key customers to set personalised goals in the form of a Support Plan
- Conducting regular key work sessions that are innovative and engaging in order to achieve Support Plan goals
- Ensuring ongoing assessment and management of risks associated with customers within an attitude of 'positive risk taking'
- Proactively manage risk and safety both in and outside of their physical living environment
- Providing support with daily living activities, including practical assistance where skills are not yet developed, to ensure that customers enjoy a high quality of accommodation
- Proactive development of links with local statutory and voluntary organisations to provide a range of engagement opportunities for customers in the community
- Involving customers in the design, development and delivery of the service
- Empowering customers to ensure they receive the service and benefits they are entitled to
- Monitoring rent arrears and ensuring that rent accounts are managed effectively. Encouraging and enabling tenants to pay their rent/ service charge.
- Ensuring Look Ahead Health and Safety policies are adhered to at all time and to uphold all health and safety responsibilities within relevant policies and local protocols
- Adhering to all other Look Ahead's policies and procedures
- Engaging in learning and development activity to increase knowledge and skills
- Day to day instruction/ supervision of Assistant Support Workers/domestic staff/ Personal Support Assistants where appropriate
- Undertaking any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as assigned by the Manager
- Forming strong partnerships with external agencies.
- Is confident with high levels of self-esteem
- Is respectful, articulate and sensitive in style of communication
- Is essentially customer-focused
- Is motivated towards excellence and improvement of personal performance with a can do attitude
- Ability to cope positively with challenging and diverse behaviours
- Understanding of mental health difficulties and therapeutic methods of support: Mental health difficulties include depression, anxiety, ADHD, personality disorder and psychosis
- Understanding of risks and support needs associated with care leavers
- Understanding of risks and support needs associated with CSE and CCE.
- Knowledge of gang culture and the risks and support needs associated to gang affiliation
- Knowledge of various therapeutic models
- Understanding of psychologically informed environments and trauma informed care
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- NVQ Level 2 or equivalent experience in the social care/charity sector
- Experience working with care leavers
- Experience working with those displaying mental health difficulties
- Experience using therapeutic models of support
We reserve the right to close this advert early if we are able to appoint to the vacancy before the advertised closed date.
For the full job description, please visit the Look Ahead website.