Recruiting for a Support Worker to join our Mental Health Service in Tower Hamlets!
GBP 22,568 working 40 hours per week, plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more.
Teresa House and Hamlets Way provide supported accommodation for customers with mental health needs who require a high level of support. Teresa House is a high support, fast stream mental health service, from which customers are expected to move on within two years. Hamlets Way is a high support, slow stream mental health service with customer move on expected within four years. Each service is made up of 16 units and operates 24 hours a day. The role requires shift working including weekends and evenings, but there are no sleep ins required at the service.
Hamlets Way is a supported living accommodation, which has a heavy focus on supporting customers with enduring mental health care needs. We provide 24hr high support to 24 customers both female and male. Our building is a purpose-built across two floors, offering customers individual self contained flats and the use of shared communal facilities and gardens. The service is commissioned by the London borough of Tower Hamlets.
As a support worker you will play an integral role in developing effective support and risk management plans. You will also support customers with all aspects of their day to day living including; social and physical activities, medication, shopping, personal care, meal time preparation and managing finances.
- To work on a rota based shift pattern which includes working early (8-4pm) and late (2-10pm) shifts 5 days a week
- Support customers with dignity and respect in all aspects of their day to day living including; social and physical activities, medication, shopping, personal care, meal time preparation and managing finances
- Undertake key-working responsibilities for a caseload assigned by the Team Leader/ Manager
- Undertake initial and continuous assessment of needs and potential risks and agree levels of support and actions
- Create support/action plans for providing appropriate services based on the assessment and reflecting the services and resources available
- Support customers to undertake all domestic tasks wherever possible, including practical assistance where they have not yet developed the skills, to ensure customers enjoy a high quality of accommodation
- Develop and maintain links with all key agencies and service providers in the local community
- Undertake medication support with customers in line with their support needs.
- Work with local community mental health teams and other relevant professional bodies to related to customer support
- To develop and produce creative customer activities to support in house customer engagement and enhance recovery
- Empower customers to ensure they receive the service and benefits they are entitled to
- Undertake all administrative work and keep accurate and comprehensive tenant/customer records to professional standards
- Encourage and enable tenants to pay their rent and to ensure that rent accounts are managed effectively in conjunction with the Housing Management team
- Ensure that referrals are chased proactively so that properties which can be used to house those in need are filled as efficiently as possible
- Adhere to Look Ahead's Policies and Procedures
- Engage in learning and development activities to increase knowledge and skills
- Undertake any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as may be reasonably assigned
This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time and is subject to change in accordance with the needs of Look Ahead
- Enjoys social interaction and the company of others, joins in local activities to encourage customer involvement
- Approachable and open behaviour
- Prefers working as part of a group or team
- Is fundamentally calm and resilient, does not let emotion adversely affect them or obscure their judgement
- Has a practical and logical mind and is naturally well organised
- Open to feedback and self development
- Thrives on change and enjoys dynamic diverse environments
- Is confident with high levels of self-esteem
- Is respectful, articulate and sensitive in style of communication
- Is essentially customer-focused
- Is motivated towards excellence and improvement of personal performance with a can do attitude
- Ability to cope positively with challenging and diverse behaviours
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Up to NVQ Level 2/3 or equivalent or experience in the social care/charity sector
For the full job description, please see the Look Ahead Website