Recruiting for a Waking Night Mental Health Recovery Worker to join our Mental Health service in Barnet!
GBP 16,770 per annum 30 hours per week plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more
Look Ahead are providing 3 Recovery Houses, 24 hour/7 days a week support services, for those with mental health issues living in Barnet, Enfield and Haringey (BEH). Elysian House offers various interventions and treatments within the acute care pathway, working with clinical teams in BEH to maintain and improve quality of life. The services are based on customers' needs and will only provide short-term accommodation of up to 14 days to those who do not require inpatient admissions.
Waking Night Mental Health Recovery Workers are responsible for ensuring continuity of support service at night and for keeping service-users and the building safe. More specifically, you will:
- Understand the concept of Recovery and apply those principles to develop an environment and service that enhances recovery.
- Put the service-user at the centre of their support and promote optimism and hope for their increased independence
- Provide intensive support (both practical and emotional) to people undergoing a period of mental health related crisis.
- Act as a positive influence on service-users encouraging responsible behaviour and self reliance to people residing in the Service.
- Support people in a way that maximises their self-sufficiency and enables them to live independently upon discharge from the service
- To be flexible and responsive to the needs of service-users as directed by their personal support plan
- To provide recovery focused support to achieve personal goals/aspirations in partnership with service-users, family members and statutory agencies. To work with service-users on a one to one basis to achieve positive outcomes within a given service timeframe
- Create support/action plans for providing appropriate services based on the assessment and reflecting the services and resources available.
- Building supportive, trusting relationships with service-users and creating a positive atmosphere.
- Working proactively with other members of the team to handle the service caseload and administrative responsibilities.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the empowerment of service-users and a strong interest in co-production and promoting people's rights.
- Excellent listening skills and the ability to communicate effectively with people who are in mental distress, including any who may be acutely unwell.
- To engage in learning and development activity to increase knowledge and skills.
- Providing support with daily living activities, including practical assistance to support service-users to independent living e.g. budgeting, cooking, establishing a night time routine.
- Supporting service-users to maintain a healthy environment and where appropriate assisting them to clean their accommodation and maintain good personal hygiene.
- Adhering to lone working protocols and maintaining high levels of awareness in relation to the health and safety of yourself, service-users and colleagues
- Ensuring ongoing assessment and management of risks within an attitude of 'positive risk taking'
- Handover of key information between shifts.
- Ensuring Look Ahead Health and Safety policies and local protocols are adhered to at all times e.g. fire risk assessments, fire alarm checks etc.
- To maintain good relationships with all involved professionals and agencies.
- Taking on shift leading responsibilities by coordinating and leading shifts in the absence of a manager.
- To work with the staff team to achieve the aims and the objectives of the service.
- To treat all information - both verbal and written - in accordance with Look Ahead's policy on confidentiality.
- To act at all times in accordance with the aims, philosophy and practice of the service.
- Undertake any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as may be reasonably assigned
- The ability to be self servicing in the terms of computer/word processing is a requirement of this post. If the appropriate I.T. skills are not gained by the recruitment stage, appropriate training may be provided by Look Ahead.
This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time and is subject to change in accordance with the needs of Look Ahead.