Recruiting for a Waking Night Support Worker to join ourLearning Disabilities Service in Redbourn!
GBP 14,040 per annum, 40 hours per week plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more
Linden Road provides 24-hour support to two customers in Redbourn. Supported living registered care, these gentlemen have learning disabilities and Autism, requiring a high level of support and care to meet their individual needs. The service comprises of two bungalows with offices and sleep in rooms for staff, located near Redbourn village, close to Harpenden and St Albans. Waking Night Support Workers are responsible for ensuring continuity of a support service at night and for keeping customers and the building safe.
Linden Road in Redbourn (Hertfordshire) supports 2 gentlemen living in their own bungalows with everyday life skills. The service provides a 24/7 support service, with an emphasis on choice and control, enabling customers to achieve greater independence, improved quality of life and integration into the wider community.
We are looking some someone who is able to build supportive, trusting relationships with customers and create a positive atmosphere. You need to be able to provide a flexible, personalised and responsive support service that is tailored to each customer's abilities and aspirations.
- Building a supportive, trusting relationship with the customer and creating a positive atmosphere;
- Supporting the customer in their preferred night time routine, including personal care and promoting good sleep hygiene;
- Supporting the customer to undertake activities in line with their preferences;
- Ensuring the customer's safety and wellbeing at night, providing emotional and practical support and reassurance as needed;
- Using positive behavioural support and Autism-specific approaches to manage any distress during night time hours;
- Working proactively with other members of the team to meet the needs of the customer and handle administrative responsibilities;
- Conducting key work sessions as required, that are innovative and engaging in order to achieve Support Plan goals;
- Ensuring ongoing assessment and management of risks associated with the customer within an attitude of 'positive risk taking';
- Ensuring appropriate handovers between shifts and documenting night time activity, including any incidents;
- Working in line with Look Ahead's lone working protocols and maintaining high levels of awareness in relation to the health and safety of yourself and colleagues;
- Adhering to all other Look Ahead policies and procedures;
- Engaging in learning and development activity to increase knowledge and skills
- Ad-hoc domestic / cleaning duties;
- Working as part of a team with Look Ahead colleagues, the customer's family and external professionals;
- Undertaking any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as assigned by the Team Leader/Manager
This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time and is subject to change in accordance with the needs of Look Ahead.
- Enjoys social interaction and the company of others, joins in local activities to encourage customer involvement
- Approachable and open behaviour
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Is fundamentally calm and resilient, does not let emotion adversely affect them or obscure their judgement
- Has a practical and logical mind and is naturally well organised
- Open to feedback and self development
- Thrives on change and enjoys dynamic diverse environments
- Is confident with high levels of self-esteem
- Is respectful, articulate and sensitive in style of communication
- Is essentially customer-focused
- Sensitive to communication needs of service users, especially those with autism and learning difficulties.
- Is motivated towards excellence and improvement of personal performance with a can do attitude
- Ability to cope positively with challenging and diverse behaviours
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Up to NVQ Level 2/3 or equivalent or experience in the social care/charity sector
- Experience working in learning disabilities.
- Driving Licence
Please note that we have the right to close any vacancy before the advertised closing date if we have received a high number of applications.
If your application for this role is unsuccessful, but we feel that you would be suitable for another role, we may contact you to discuss alternative opportunities. If this occurs you would not need to submit another application for the alternative role.