Recruiting for a Waking Night Support Worker to join our Young Peoples Service in Hounslow!
GBP 22,928 per annum, 40 hours per week, plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension Scheme, staff discounts, healthcare and more.
The young people's service in Hounslow supports young people with medium to high and complex needs including looked after children, care leavers and teenage parents across 6 sites. Support is provided by support workers and specialist workers, aiming to achieve the very best outcomes including tenancy sustainment, ETE, enhancing life skills, managing mental health and emotional wellbeing and a successful move on from the service with greater independence, confidence and resilience.
Waking Night Support Worker will work in line with person centred risk assessments; support plans and liaises with Support Workers to provide comprehensive handover and partnership working. They will be observant of changes in behaviour and presentations ensuring appropriate actions are taken to document and report changes in support needs of young people.
Waking Night Support Worker will be able to carry out all necessary health and safety actions including light cleaning tasks and work with in policies and procedures. Furthermore they will actively seek out ways to work with the team and stakeholders to improve the experience of young people in the service.
The role requires individuals to work on a rota pattern including weekend working.
- Ensure the welfare of customers providing emotional and practical support to customers who are in distress, in crisis or require medical assistance such as emergency first aid or the intervention of medical professionals
- Remain calm and professional when dealing with emergencies and incidents following the reporting procedures and completing the required paperwork
- Ability to work empathically and compassionately with customers who present with complex needs such as mental health, substance misuse, safeguarding and physical health support needs
- Ensure the safety and welfare of customers by implementing and monitoring the visitors' procedure, preventing unauthorised access to the service
- Conduct health and safety checks and patrols around the building and exterior reporting repairs and any Health and Safety issues
- To undertake patrols and security checks of the building and exterior, monitoring CCTV, addressing any antisocial behaviour and completing the relevant reports
- Undertake initial and continuous assessment of needs and potential risks and agree levels of support and actions
- Support customers to undertake all domestic tasks wherever possible, including practical assistance where they have not yet developed the skills, to ensure customers enjoy a high quality of accommodation
- Develop and maintain links with all key agencies and service providers in the local community
- Empower customers to ensure they receive the service and benefits they are entitled to
- Undertake all administrative work and keep accurate and comprehensive tenant/customer records to professional standards
- Provide concise and clear handovers to the team highlighting any incidents or issues during the night and any follow up actions to be completed
- Adhere to Look Ahead's Policies and Procedures
- Engage in learning and development activity to increase knowledge and skills
- Provide day-to-day instruction/supervision of Assistant Support Workers/domestic staff/Personal Support Assistants where appropriate
- Undertake any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as may be reasonably assigned
This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time and is subject to change in accordance with the needs of Look Ahead.
- Enjoys social interaction and the company of others, joins in local activities to encourage customer involvement
- Approachable and open behaviour
- Prefers working as part of a group or team
- Is fundamentally calm and resilient, does not let emotion adversely affect them or obscure their judgement
- Has a practical and logical mind and is naturally well organised
- Thrives on change and enjoys dynamic diverse environments
- Is confident with high levels of self-esteem
- Is respectful, articulate and sensitive in style of communication
- Is essentially customer-focused
- Is motivated towards excellence and improvement of personal performance with a can do attitude
- Ability to cope positively with challenging and diverse behaviours