Who we are
Part business, part charity, part membership body – students’ unions are all seriously fun places to work. They are organisations in their own right. Professionally run, but different. Professional teams support elected student leaders to make change, improve lives and fulfil potential; we help make it happen. Arts Students’ Union and LSE Students’ Union work in partnership, sharing members of staff, knowledge and best practice. With more than 30,000 members across 7 higher education institutions and bold new strategies, we’re two of the most unique and exciting SUs in the country.
About the job
A great opportunity has become available to lead the Finance Team at LSE Students’ Union. The Finance Manager will lead the operational finance function and also structure, create and maintain financial processes throughout the organisation. Managing a Finance Assistant, we are looking for someone who has previous hands-on experience in a small/medium sized company.
Being a people-focused organisation, we require someone who can complement managing a finance department, with coaching and developing non-finance staff to understand the importance and benefits of these processes, and how to use financial information to better manage their departments.
Through your leadership, we will be in possession of financial information and insight that can drive future developments and build on our achievements to date.
Who we are looking for?
- Possess a professional financial qualification and/or be qualified by experience
- Have significant hands-on experience running a finance department in a small/medium-sized organisation
- Have experience in a commercial or other organisation beyond a Students’ Union environment. We run a number of commercial enterprises such as shops, cafes and bars
- Be proactive in their approach and an advocate for sharing finance knowledge
- Be team orientated in approach and an ability to work with a diverse group of people including commercial staff, suppliers, software consultants and university finance teams
- Have a coaching/mentoring approach and the ability to provide support to both our student leaders and staff
- Have a proven track record in providing meaningful interpretation and analysis of financial information to inform strategic business and performance decisions
Because you’re excited by the challenge! The exact opposite of corporate, we’re progressive, daring and creative individuals working to make a difference in unconventional workplaces.
Benefits and Perks
In return for your passion and experience we offer:
- 25 days holidays per year
- Additional closure periods at Christmas and Easter
- Free LSE Students’ Union gym membership, advice from dedicated professionals, with a wide range of activities including yoga classes, dance classes, pilates classes[C1]
- Cycle to Work scheme enabling significant savings on bicycle purchase
- Access to LSE staff training courses
- Ability to purchase TOTUM (NUS) card giving wide range of discounts
- Flexibility for work-life balance
- Interest free Travel loan
How we recruit
We want to ensure all systems, policies and processes are free from bias or discrimination and are fair and accessible, therefore we ask that all candidates complete our Application Process in two stages:
Part 1 (Application Form) is all about you telling us about your suitability for the role and will be used to determine if you are shortlisted for interview.
Part 2 (Equal Opportunities Monitoring and Contact Form) is personal information – so we can contact you if you are shortlisted for the interview. It also helps us gather and analyse demographic information about our applicants. This part will only be seen by HR and will not have any impact on shortlisting.
Application forms are formatted to ensure the equality monitoring data is removed before applications are seen by the shortlisting panel. This process allows us to ensure that the shortlisting is done in a fair and consistent manner and all applicants are given the same opportunity to demonstrate their abilities.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.