MSF UK AND IRELAND’S HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
MSF UK and Ireland (MSF UK/IE) is in primary partnership with the Operational Centre Amsterdam (OCA) and upholds the OCA Staff Vision and Strategy. People are key in achieving MSF’s social mission, and HR is a strategic partner to OCA Operations in contributing to the definition and implementation of the organisation’s objectives.
MSF UK/IE’s Strategic Direction for 2020-2023 has key pillars around Valuing People and Ways of Working that will shape the objectives of the MSF UK/IE HR Department.
The HR Function is responsible for attracting, selecting, developing and retaining high-quality medical and non-medical staff for MSF operations and for the MSF UK/IE offices. The members of the HR Department safeguard the respect of OCA’s leadership and management values at MSF UK/IE and ensure MSF UK/IE fulfils its obligations as a responsible employer.
The department consists of a Head of Department, 4 departmental managers in charge of field staffing, office HR and Services, one of whom (Field HR Lead) deputises for the Head of Department role. There are a total of 21 staff located in both London and Dublin and a further 2.8 staff in Jordan and Tunisia. Field HR staff in Dublin and Amman report to the Executive Director in Ireland and the Head of OCA’s Amman office respectively, with a functional line into the HR department. The HR department has direct line management responsibility for the Field HR staff member in Tunisia.
The activities of the department focus on two main areas:
- Secondment of field staff to MSF's field operations worldwide. This includes the sourcing of staff profiles required for field operations, active recruitment, selection, development, retention and all related administrative aspects.
- HR support for the MSF UK/IE offices in London and Dublin. This includes HR planning, recruitment, contracting, reward and benefits, staff development and retention, HR policy development, management support and all related administrative aspects.
The Head of HR participates in the OCA Heads of HR Platform consisting of the Staff Director for OCA and the Heads of HR of MSF UK, MSF Germany and MSF India, responsible for the implementation of the OCA Staff Strategy for the coming 5 years. The Head of HR is also a member of MSF’s international Heads of HR platform.
Finally, the role is a member of the UK/IE Management Team and contributes to the overall leadership and management of MSF UK/IE. The role has a specific responsibility to follow and advise the MT and UK and Ireland Boards of Trustees on relevant legislation and regulation and ensure MSF acts as a responsible employer. Being part of the MT also includes responsibility to support the Executive Director(s) in the delivery and the strategic development of MSF UK/IE as an institutional member of MSF, as well as responsibility to drive and develop strategic staff related priorities within the MSF movement overall.
- To lead on all aspects of staff and staffing, in line with the strategy of MSF UK/IE and MSF UK/IE’s commitment to support OCA’s staff needs as well as that of other MSF Operational Centres.
- To provide leadership and management of the HR Department in London and Ireland, and the LEAP Project Manager.
- Ensuring the development and implementation of HR strategies and policies.
- As a member of the OCA Heads of HR Platform drive the implementation of the OCA Staff Strategy support objectives as defined in the OCA Strategic Plan for the period 2020-2023.
- The Head of HR has overall accountability for the activities of the HR department, ensures the integration of the office and field HR function, effective collaboration across London, Dublin, Amman and Tunis and advises the Executive Directors in UK and Ireland on all people management issues for MSF-UK/IE.
- Senior manager, with proven management experience in MSF or another similar organisation including leading other managers.
- Proven significant experience with HR management in the international NGO sector.
- Academic degree, preferable in Human Resources or other relevant area (CIPD qualification).
- Experience of developing and influencing strategy at a senior level in an international organisation.
- Experience of working with issues of equity, diversity and inclusion as they pertain to a global and national workforce.
- Strong leadership skills with experience of leading senior managers and sub-teams.
- Experience of working as part of a network of HR colleagues, across a global organisation, and advancing strategic objectives.
- Change-management experience including in organisational design
- Excellent interpersonal and team-working skills.
- Experience of working with Microsoft Office 365.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, unpredictable and demanding environment.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally including to MSF field projects.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Commitment to aims and values to Médecins Sans Frontières.
Please visit the MSF UK website for the full job description and person sepcification.
MSF UK/IE is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applications from all sections of our diverse community.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply on our website by submitting a copy of your CV together with a letter of motivation (please upload as one document) by the closing date.
Closing date for applications: 6th September 2020, 11.59pm (BST)
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.