Public Engagement Intern
An exciting opportunity has opened up in the Public Engagement team of a leading humanitarian aid organisation for those looking to gain experience in the world of events and public engagement.
This role supports our outreach to key sections of the UK public and our membership base, in order to communicate MSF’s identity, opinions, values and experiences. You’ll provide support to a varied programme of events and outreach activities both in person and online.
You will work with our supporters who come from a diverse range of backgrounds, so you’ll require a personable and diplomatic nature. You’ll need to be as comfortable working with keen young students as with seasoned humanitarians or older supporters.
The role demands multi-tasking, so you’ll be impeccably organised and self-motivated. As the point of contact for supporters, you will have a strong understanding of MSF’s principles and humanitarian action in order to use your judgment to make necessary decisions.
You’ll be exposed to the day-to-day running of an international NGO and there will be ample opportunity to learn about MSF and humanitarianism.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, Mon-Fri
Duration: 6 months FTC
Salary: £13.15 per hour, equivalent to £25,642.50 per annum
This role supports a varied and dynamic programme of MSF UK events and outreach activities run by the MSF UK public engagement team for supporters, staff and association members.
The department’s purpose is to raise the profile of the organisation and its causes amongst British and international audiences via increasingly diverse media to support MSF’s advocacy, recruitment and fundraising activities.
Public Engagement Team:
The team’s purpose is to execute MSF UK’s public engagement and association activities, events and communications, in order to ensure the organisation’s identity, values, experiences and opinions are successfully communicated to the British public in general, and to MSF Association members, university and school students, and general supporters in particular, in line with MSF’s strategic ambitions.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Demonstrable interest in events/public engagement
- Demonstrable interest in humanitarian work
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- High degree of accuracy and good attention to detail
- Exceptional organisational skills with experience of managing multiple tasks and prioritising effectively
- Good networking skills and a proven ability to communicate with a diverse range of people
- Proficient experience in the practical use of personal IT equipment and Microsoft Office 365 suite. The ability to effectively collaborate and communicate within a hybrid working environment utilising Teams, SharePoint, One Drive and Yammer.
- Availability to work occasional weekends and evenings, including travel, with time off in lieu given.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply on our website by submitting a letter of motivation as well as a CV and answers to the application question below by the closing date. Please upload your CV and application questions as one document.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Closing Date: 26 November 2023, 11.59pm (GMT)
Thank you for your interest in working with MSF. To get a better sense of your aptitude for this role, we would like you to complete the two questions below. There aren’t ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ answers, but we are interested in your approach and your ideas. Good luck!
1. Describe an event you have organised / been involved in. How did you make it a success? (maximum of 200 words).
2. You have arranged for an MSF member of staff to deliver the keynote speech at the annual international conference of the Inner Wheel in Manchester. His name is Iain Van den Bosch and he is an anaesthetist who was going to give an introduction to MSF and talk about his most recent project in Yemen. On the day before the event, Iain pulls out. You try, but fail, to find a replacement at the last minute. You call your contact at the Inner Wheel, Mrs Deirdre McElhinney, to explain, but are not able to get through or leave a message, so you need to email her to explain. Please compose this email. (maximum of 200 words).
MSF UK is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applications from all sections of our diverse community.
We look forward to receiving your application!
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.