Successful fundraising is about much more than shaking collection tins! We’re looking for someone with strong communication skills, able to make the case and promote the benefits of Magic Me to individuals and organisations, face to face, on social media or in formal written applications. You’ll enjoy online research, creating simple Excel budgets and finding fresh ways to share the stories of the younger and older people who benefit from our projects. You may have already worked in fundraising, or you might be bringing skills you’ve grown working in marketing, events organisation or communications, or from voluntary work you’ve done in your own time.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Fundraising Coordinator role is suitable for someone new to fundraising or someone with previous experience who is looking to expand their skills and knowledge. We are not looking for specific qualifications and if you have none, that’s fine. We want the right person for the job as outlined in the job description below, if that’s you, then we look forward to hearing from you.
You’ll be working on a wide variety of fundraising, building relationships with donors and potential supporters in Trusts and Foundations, businesses, Livery Companies, Lotteries and Local Government. You will be curious and excited about the work of Magic Me and will be confident in putting this across whether face to face or in written applications.
Every year Magic Me receives grants and donations from 20+ organisations and 120 individual donors. As Fundraising Coordinator you will help keep them all up to date with how things are going, and manage our calendars and records, so we never miss a deadline. You’ll also encourage and support our growing team of individual fundraisers – people who run, box and bake to raise funds for Magic Me – and be the key person in growing our Friends of Magic Me.
You will be excellent at both written and personal communication and be able to make a case for Magic Me and its benefits. You will be comfortable talking to people from a variety of backgrounds and have the ability to easily make connections.
A: Planning and organisation
- Manage the calendar of fundraising targets, applications and reporting deadlines and co-ordinate the completion of bids and reports.
- Maintain up-to-date records of fundraising activity, donors and funders on our Upshot database.
- Meet agreed income targets within annual fundraising plan.
- Liaise with other staff to plan a communications schedule to inform funders and donors about project activity and events; organise guest lists and invitations.
- Prepare and organise meeting logistics.
B: Communications with funders and donors
- Write or draft bids to funding bodies and individuals that builds a strong argument for the benefit of Magic Me’s work.
- Write or draft appropriate reports to funders and donors in relation to their contributions, describing activity undertaken, its impact and benefits, etc.
- Prepare and assemble supporting evidence for reports e.g. receipts, statistics, images or case studies.
- Support the writing and creation of Magic Me e-newsletters, website, Annual Report and other communications to individual or potential donors.
- Seek opportunities for in-kind support for project activities and events, working with project staff and artists to source free or reduced cost goods and services.
- Prepare written or other visual presentations for pitches or reporting to funders.
C: Research and information collection
- Research potential funding and income sources and identify most appropriate opportunities.
- Research trends, statistics and background evidence to support funding bids.
- Ensure the collection, storage and easy retrieval of data and stories about projects and participants, including monitoring statistics, impact measures, case studies, quotes, photographs, video etc.
D: Regular giving and individual philanthropy
- Be the primary contact for the Friends of Magic Me – our regular donors, keeping them updated on Magic Me opportunities and activity.
- Manage data on individual donations including reporting and inputting onto Xero our financial software (training will be given).
E: Fundraising events and activities
- Provide practical communications support and encouragement for people who undertake fundraising activities e.g. running marathons, cake sales, etc.
- Co-ordinate Magic Me’s involvement in fundraising initiatives led by partners or businesses e.g. providing display materials for a work-place quiz night.
- Respond to enquiries about Magic Me in relation to fundraising or offers of support.
- Develop template responses and systems to support other staff and volunteers to respond appropriately to enquiries or opportunities to grow partnerships.
- Manage the petty cash process and reconcile monthly.
- Undertake general admin and correspondence, answer the telephone and contribute to the smooth running of the organisation.
G: Core competencies of all staff
- Spot changing patterns of activity, and issues with project delivery and work with other staff and freelancers to create better systems and ways of working.
- Work closely with other Magic Me staff, Trustees, artists and volunteers to provide an efficient, appropriate and high quality service to our participants.
- Work in accordance with Magic Me Policies and Practices including those relating to Health and Safety, Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults, Equality and Diversity
- To undertake, from time to time, other tasks which may be reasonably requiredof you.
Knowledge and Skills
- An enthusiasm for Magic Me, and the role of the arts in community development and well-being.
- Experience of working within a fundraising role preferably within an arts or community organisation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively in a wide range of media.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to communicate well with a broad range of people and audiences.
- Good organisational and workload management skills, with the ability to prioritise and meet deadlines.
- Absolute attention to detail.
- Demonstrable commitment to collaborative team work.
- Numerate. Confident about reading project budgets and dealing with figures.
- Excellent IT skills in particular in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Confident in using different social media platforms and familiar with using tools suchas Tweetdeck, Canva.
- Skills in using a monitoring or donor database.
NB Magic Me uses Upshot and specific training will be given.