Thank you for your interest in the Fundraising Coordinator role at Magic Me.
Now is a great time to be joining our team, as Magic Me celebrates its 30th birthday. Since its founding in 1989, Magic Me has pioneered intergenerational arts practice from our base here in Tower Hamlets. This work with local younger and older people continues today, and Magic Me has also grown to serve other communities across London, and the east of England. Our story for the past 30 years has been one of innovation and constant evolution in the field of intergenerational arts. In 2019 we’ll be introducing new programmes in Essex and east London.
The Fundraising Coordinator will work directly with Susan Langford, Magic Me’s Founder and Director, and collaborate regularly with other staff. You will have an integral role in the future of Magic Me and our ability to benefit the people and communities we serve. By increasing support and attracting new funds, you will enable Magic Me to reach more people and affect positive change to their lives, whilst gaining invaluable experience in fundraising across all areas of the charity and arts funding landscape.
We’re not only looking for someone with the skills to fulfil the role, but someone who is aligned with our organisational culture. At Magic Me we strive to nurture, develop and support everyone who works with us. We recognise that to meet our organisational objectives we need to be ambitious for all those we work with. We seek to be fully inclusive and have real diversity across the team, believing this enriches the experience of everyone within the Magic Me community.
If Magic Me sounds like a good fit for you, then we would love to hear from you.
WHO WE ARE:
Magic Me’s mission is to bring together younger and older people in our community, for mutual benefit, learning and enjoyment. We do this primarily through high-quality arts projects, where people of different generations learn together and from one another.
Magic Me arts projects challenge people to stretch themselves and what they think they can do and be. Working with highly skilled and experienced artists, they learn new skills, share their ideas and feelings, and become comfortable collaborating with people who are different in age, ethnicity or life experience.
All our activities are run in partnership with other organisations, large and small. We have delivered hundreds of projects with thousands of people in schools, care homes, galleries, museums, open spaces and community centres. We are a learning organisation - time for participants, artists and staff to reflect on their progress is integral to our approach.
Last year we worked with 709 older and younger people with 421 volunteers. Current projects include: Arts & Ages and Quality Street which link school pupils with older people using different art forms such as storytelling and singing. Older people living alone gain a new sense of purpose, encouraging better well-being. Children gain new skills and social confidence.
Cocktails in Care Homes connects’ isolated care home residents with adult volunteers at monthly evening parties. Parties include music, drinks, nibbles and party themes. They provide regular visitors, fresh conversation and connections with life beyond the care home.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Fundraising Coordinator role is suitable for someone with previous experience in fundraising who is looking to expand their skills and knowledge. You will be curious and excited about the work of Magic Me and will be confident in putting this across whether face to face or in written applications.
Magic Me’s projected income for 2019/20 is £458,000 and last year we received grants from 15 organisations and 120 individual donors. As Fundraising Coordinator you will help keep them all up to date with how things are going, and manage our calendars and records, so we never miss a deadline. You’ll also encourage and support our growing team of individual fundraisers – people who run, box and bake to raise funds for Magic Me – and be the key person in growing our Friends of Magic Me.
You will be excellent at both written and personal communication and be able to make a case for Magic Me and its benefits. You will be comfortable talking to people from a variety of backgrounds and have the ability to easily make connections.
A: Planning and organisation
- Manage the calendar of fundraising targets, applications and reporting deadlines and co-ordinate the completion of bids and reports.
- Maintain up-to-date records of fundraising activity, donors and funders on our Upshot database.
- Meet agreed income targets within annual fundraising plan.
- Liaise with other staff to plan a communications schedule to inform funders and donors about project activity and events; organise guest lists and invitations.
- Prepare and organise meeting logistics.
B: Communications with funders and donors
- Write or draft bids to funding bodies and individuals that builds a strong argument for the benefit of Magic Me’s work.
- Write or draft appropriate reports to funders and donors in relation to their contributions, describing activity undertaken, its impact and benefits, etc.
- Prepare and assemble supporting evidence for reports e.g. receipts, statistics, images or case studies.
- Support the writing and creation of Magic Me e-newsletters, website, Annual Report and other communications to individual or potential donors.
- Seek opportunities for in-kind support for project activities and events, working with project staff and artists to source free or reduced cost goods and services.
- Prepare written or other visual presentations for pitches or reporting to funders.
C: Research and information collection
- Research potential funding and income sources and identify most appropriate opportunities.
- Research trends, statistics and background evidence to support funding bids.
- Ensure the collection, storage and easy retrieval of data and stories about projects and participants, including monitoring statistics, impact measures, case studies, quotes, photographs, video etc.
D: Regular giving and individual philanthropy
- Be the primary contact for the Friends of Magic Me – our regular donors, keeping them updated on Magic Me opportunities and activity.
- Manage data on individual donations including reporting and inputting onto Xero our financial software (training will be given).
E: Fundraising events and activities
- Provide practical communications support and encouragement for people who undertake fundraising activities e.g. running marathons, cake sales, etc.
- Co-ordinate Magic Me’s involvement in fundraising initiatives led by partners or businesses e.g. providing display materials for a work-place quiz night.
- Respond to enquiries about Magic Me in relation to fundraising or offers of support.
- Develop template responses and systems to support other staff and volunteers to respond appropriately to enquiries or opportunities to grow partnerships.
- Manage the petty cash process and reconcile monthly.
- Undertake general admin and correspondence, answer the telephone and contribute to the smooth running of the organisation.
G: Core competencies of all staff
- Spot changing patterns of activity, and issues with project delivery and work with other staff and freelancers to create better systems and ways of working.
- Work closely with other Magic Me staff, Trustees, artists and volunteers to provide an efficient, appropriate and high quality service to our participants.
- Work in accordance with Magic Me Policies and Practices including those relating to Health and Safety, Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults, Equality and Diversity
- To undertake, from time to time, other tasks which may be reasonably required of you.
Knowledge and Skills
- An enthusiasm for Magic Me, and the role of the arts in community development and well-being.
- Experience of working within a fundraising role preferably within an arts or community organisation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively in a wide range of media.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to communicate well with a broad range of people and audiences.
- Good organisational and workload management skills, with the ability to prioritise and meet deadlines.
- Absolute attention to detail.
- Demonstrable commitment to collaborative team work.
- Numerate. Confident about reading project budgets and dealing with figures.
- Excellent IT skills in particular in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Confident in using different social media platforms and familiar with using tools such as Tweetdeck, Canva.
- Skills in using a monitoring or donor database.
NB Magic Me uses Upshot and specific training will be given.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.