Marketing and Communications Officer
About Make 2nds Count
Make 2nds Count is dynamic and growing organisation dedicated to giving hope to women and men living with secondary breast cancer.
We strive to do this by funding secondary breast cancer research which contributes to advancing an increased quality of life for patients. Our support programme has a focus on quality of life and helping patients by informing, sharing and offering practical advice & support. Education is an integral part in everything that we do and we aim to raise awareness of secondary breast cancer. We also empower patients through increasing their knowledge and understanding of research, treatments and options.
Make 2nds Count is supported by an enthusiastic and motivated group of individuals who help us make our vision a reality. From permanent team members, to dedicated volunteers, patient ambassadors and the dynamic board of trustees, our team is constantly evolving.
Secondary breast cancer, also known as metastatic, advanced or stage IV breast cancer, is a cancer that has spread beyond the breast to other parts of the body. Parts of the body affected are usually the bones, liver, lungs, brain or the skin. Secondary breast cancer can be treated but it cannot be cured. Treatments aim to control and slow down the disease to enable patients to have the best possible quality of life for as long as possible.
About the Role
We are looking for a dynamic and experienced Marketing and Communications Officer with experience of working on effective, creative and inspiring marketing and communications plans, from inception to conclusion.
To succeed in this you must have significant knowledge of developing, using and managing a range of communication channels and platforms, brand development and marketing, and a sound understanding of stakeholder development. You must also have specific experience managing complex projects or directing a communication project with different stakeholders while taking an audience-first approach. In addition, you should be skilled at managing stakeholders and comfortable working with colleagues to map and manage interaction with key stakeholders to further our work.
The successful candidate will play a key role in developing and driving forward a range of high-quality marketing and communications campaigns and projects, based on user research and customer insight. You will be an excellent communicator in both oral and written communications.
You will be involved in all marketing disciplines - advertising, PR and social media, digital, strategic planning, evaluation and analysis, stakeholder and partner management, media planning and buying, partnership and field marketing.
In particular, you will have strong skills in writing engaging copy to connect with different audiences and take responsibility for ensuring that our communications are meaningful, appropriate, effective and inclusive.
Duties and responsibilities
Ensure quality control of communications and marketing and promotional activities:
● Responsible for overseeing all copywriting and proofreading across the various departments within the organisation
● Develop high quality print and digital materials to support a range of fundraising and awareness-building campaigns
Audience Development and Support:
● You will ensure that marketing and communications follows an audience-first approach and that all members of the organisation understand the audience segments and priorities
● Lead the organisation’s work across all marketing disciplines: advertising, PR and social media, digital, strategic planning, evaluation and analysis, stakeholder and partner management, media planning and buying, partnership and field marketing Brand ownership:
● Work with the Head of Operations to develop brand strategy, including the monitoring of brand guidelines, brand vision and value proposition of our brand
● You will ensure that the brand identity is clear and supported across all channels
● You will ensure our key massaging and tone of voice is consistent across all channels
● Manage and work alongside current external communications agencies, including PR, social media and video/design
● You will ensure that all platforms and channels are maximized for optimal effectiveness to support the strategic priorities
● Ability to investigate, analyse and contextualise complex issues, identify key points to be addressed and develop effective, practical and simple plans to resolve problems
● Experience working with a charity or mission driven organisation
● Empathy for the mission of Make 2nds Count and key audience groups, especially patients
● Ability to translate complex research findings into accessible information that is appropriately targeted for various audiences and stakeholders
● Creative ability to propose new marketing campaigns and tactics to achieve strategic priorities
● Ability to identify compelling stories and narratives for specific audiences that support strategic objectives
● Experience with Photoshop and Canva
● Experience with website design and ability to update pages, layout, and content
● Excellent verbal written and communications skills, including writing, copy editing and proofreading
● Experience working with a patient-focused charity or medical research organisation, especially if cancer-related
● Experience using CRM database, especially eTapesrty.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.