Reports to: Head of Communications
Location: Vauxhall, London
Salary: £28,000 - £32,000 per annum dependent on experience + benefits
Contract: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday
About Malaria No More UK
Malaria has been described as the oldest killer disease in history; even now, despite recent progress, it claims the life of a child every two minutes. Malaria No More UK is part of a global movement that is determined to make this the generation that beats this killer. To realise this vision, we need to mobilise governments, influencers, businesses and the public, inspiring them to commit funds, energy and resources to ending deaths from malaria and wiping out the disease for good. We are a small but very hard-working team with ambitions and objectives that reach way beyond the expected, and every member of our team contributes to winning the fight to ending malaria, saving millions of lives and eradicating the poverty that this disease causes to so many. Together, we can end it for good.
A great opportunity to kick-start your career in communications while contributing to an ambitious, passionate organisation with a bold mission. Under the supervision of the Head of Communications you will be working with our small communications team, undertaking a varied range of tasks including: keeping abreast of all upcoming comms activity and tasks, maintaining and monitoring Malaria No More UK’s social media channels; editing website content; content creation for media, influential supporters, website, email communications ; image editing; and providing general communications and administrative support where needed. This is a fantastic opportunity to gain experience across a range of communications functions: PR, media relations, digital, content creation and talent management.
We are a busy team and this role will be key in keeping us organised and on track.
- General team support:
- Be the first point of call for day-to-day requests for the communications team, supporting the team with external and internal requests.
- Support external and internal meetings and workshops. This could include attending meetings, taking minutes, creating presentations, event management and ad hoc requests.
- Team activity support:
- Lead on the monitoring and evaluation process, supported by the digital and PR & Communications interns.
- Work with the digital, content and PR/media leads to update and act as the guardian of the communications content and activity plan.
- Support the project management of different external stakeholder groups.
- Communications materials: helping produce compelling, on-brand content for external and internal audiences. This could include press releases, presentations, pitch decks, briefing documents and digital content.
- PR & media relations support: Helping to maintain media lists, pitching stories to media, ongoing evaluation of our media coverage.
- Digital support: supporting with website and social media updates, including writing, scheduling and monitoring posts across channels; creating media for posts; responding to comments and interactions.
- Content support: support the Creative Content Lead with the creation and editing or images and video content.
- Talent support: Supporting the Senior Manager, Communications and Talent Relations with research and creating pitch decks and key updates to talent
- General copywriting tasks for digital, media and talent
- Supporting the communications team with ad-hoc tasks
- To undertake any other reasonable additional duties as required by MNMUK.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Experience of working in a busy in-house communications team or an agency.
- Understanding a large mix of online and offline communications channels.
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills; being able to articulate yourself clearly face-to-face as well as online.
- You’ll have a keen eye for detail & should feel comfortable editing copy: from emails & case-studies, to digital copy and press releases.
- You’ll enjoy thinking creatively about how to improve communications and have a passion for different tactics that we use – social media, working with talent and media relations.
- Comfortable with MS Office in all forms.
- Experience managing email marketing campaigns
- Have basic skills in Adobe applications including Photoshop (or other image editing software) and Adobe Premiere.
- Interview/journalism skills to help us gather and produce compelling case studies
- We’re a fun but hard-working team so it would help if you’re as conscientious as you are light-hearted
- Able to hit the ground running & work independently while working to brief
- Well organised and reliable with a willingness to “muck in”
- Capacity to deal with sometimes unstructured and unpredictable environments
- Enthusiastic about our mission and your future in communications
This job description and person specification is a statement of requirements at the time of writing and is not contractual or exhaustive. It should not be seen as precluding future changes after appointment to this role and it may be amended over time in consultation with the Director of Communications
Staff benefits include:
- 10% employer pension contributions
- 28 days’ annual leave plus 8 bank holiday days
- Interest-free staff season ticket loan
- Continuing personal development opportunities
- Interest free bicycle loan scheme
- Professional training & qualification subsidy
Please apply by sending your CV and a covering letter of no more than 1 A4 page detailing how you meet the criteria and why you would like to work for us by the closing date of 5pm on 18th September 2019
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.