Reports to: Head of Communications
Location: UK Hybrid working with 1-2 days per week from London
Salary: £35,000-£45,000 per annum dependent on experience
Contract: Full-time, Permanent
Hours 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday
About Malaria No More UK
Malaria has been described as the oldest killer disease in history. Even now, despite recent progress, it claims the life of a child every minute.
Malaria No More UK (MNMUK) brings proven global experience and expertise in advocacy and creative communications to the zero-malaria fight. From our locations in London, UK and Nairobi, Kenya we aim to accelerate an end to this deadly disease by:
- Securing leadership and investment globally and in the UK
- Building a powerful, united voice for the global malaria campaign to hold leaders to account
- Strengthening local advocacy capacity in key countries in Africa
Since 2000, the world has made enormous progress. The global malaria fight is becoming the biggest public health success story in history, and we are determined to maintain momentum.
Malaria No More UK are looking for an enthusiastic and driven Media Manager to support the Head of Communications in the management, planning and delivery of MNMUK’s media strategy to raise awareness, engage stakeholders and drive support for our cause. This role will predominately support MNMUK’s campaigning and activity in the UK and as such will be a critical member of our UK team, working closely with advocacy, government relations and partnership specialists.
- Oversee and deliver the Malaria No More’s UK media strategy, including relationship building with media outlets, journalists and influencers to drive tactical, political and news media coverage.
- Develop and lead on specific communications and media partnerships for MNMUK’s UK campaigning.
- Source and manage spokespeople for UK media and communications activities.
- Support MNMUK’s Philanthropy and Partnerships team with media and communication support for our corporate partners, institutional donors, and philanthropic foundation partners, including monitoring partner media, developing joint communications, and representing the communications team at partner meetings.
- Advise and support on media activity in other markets, including MNMUK’s global campaigning.
- Input into organisational messaging and brand work which supports MNMUK’s campaigning and activity in the UK.
- Act as a key representative of the MNMUK communications team in meetings and planning for our UK campaign, ensuring other members of the communications team are brought in to support when needed.
- Build external relationships and networking within NGO and communications sectors.
- Keep abreast of trends and best practice in communications and horizon scanning.
- Media monitoring.
- Supporting the development and implementation of Malaria No More UK’s communications strategy in the UK including taking responsibility for media planning, reporting and management to allow monitoring of progress against plan.
- Undertake any other reasonable additional duties as required by MNMUK.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- A proven track record of delivering media plans to support UK advocacy campaigns for a range of audiences.
- A deep understanding and experience of political and news media in the UK.
- Exceptional copy writing skills for media and corporate communications products.
- Experience of working as part of a multi-discipline communications team, integrating media plans alongside digital strategies and creative content.
- Team player, outstanding communicator and influencer.
- Demonstrable personal skills in creative, ‘outside the box’ thinking and new ideas.
- Project management experience in communications campaigns.
- Experience of cultivating and managing communications partnerships.
- A deep commitment to our cause.
- Experience of using high-profile individuals in media strategies and broader communications activities.
- Experience of delivering media plans in other markets.
- Knowledge of the global health sector and experience of navigating the variety of stakeholders within it.
- A “can do” attitude and team player with ability to think quickly, proactively AND strategically.
- Practical and hands on, as well as strategic thinker with a desire for delivering communications that are driven by doing things differently.
- Prepared to approach this role creatively and non-traditionally as appropriate.
- A willingness and ability to travel overseas occasionally as required.
- We are seeking individuals who are committed to fostering a workplace culture that embraces fairness, kindness and respect towards their colleagues.
- High awareness of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion issues and practice.
MNMUK recognises the value of a team in which people from diverse backgrounds can introduce fresh ideas and contribute to delivering our mission to make Malaria No More. We welcome applications from candidates, regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Staff Benefits Include:
- 10% employer pension contributions.
- 28 days’ annual leave plus public holiday days in the postholders country of residence.
- Private medical insurance may be available for non-UK residents depending on the postholders country of residence.
- Subsidised gym membership
- Fully flexible working opportunities
- Interest-free staff season ticket loan and bicycle loan schemes.
- Continuing personal development opportunities.
- Professional training & qualifications subsidy.
Application and Interview Process
To apply, please send your CV and a covering statement detailing how you fit the role and why you want to work for us to. Please also indicate your current salary expectations in your covering statement. We value transparency and aim to offer competitive renumeration packages based on experience, relevant qualifications and market standards.
Closing Date: 3rd December 2023 – Please note that this vacancy may close early if we receive a sufficient number of applications. Therefore, we encourage interested candidates to apply promptly.
There will be a two interview process conducted via Microsoft Teams.
This job description and person specification is a statement of requirements at the time of writing and is not contractual or exhaustive. It should not be seen as precluding future changes after appointment to this role and it may be amended over time in consultation with your line-manager and the Director.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.