Job description : Management Accountant
Reporting to: Director of Finance and Services
About The Felix Project
The Felix Project is a dynamic London charity that works with food suppliers and charities and schools to reduce food waste and food poverty. We were set up in 2016 by entrepreneur, Justin Byam Shaw.
More than eight million people in the UK struggle to afford to eat every day, while our food industry generates 100,000 tonnes of edible food waste each year.
We rescue good food that cannot be sold and would otherwise go to waste. This is high-quality and nutritious, including a high proportion of fresh fruit and vegetables, baked goods, salads, meat and fish. We collect or receive food from 170 suppliers, including supermarkets, wholesalers, farms, restaurants and delis.
We sort and then deliver this food to charities that cook meals and prepare food parcels for vulnerable people and to primary schools to distribute to children and their families. In 2019 we delivered over 2,700 tonnes of food to more than 310 London frontline charities and primary schools. This is enough food to make over 6.6 million meals.
We have 35 staff, 500 volunteers and a fleet of 22 vans.
We have 3 main operations. Our 2 depot operations at Enfield and Park Royal and our Central London operation. The depots are open during the day and from these we collect, sort, deliver and store surplus food using our own vans completing pre-configured routes. Our Central London operation runs in the evening and does point to point re-distribution directly from food retailers to charities, without the need for depot storage. The Central London operation is fully “green” and uses electric vans and walking and cycling routes to extend our reach.
Duties and Accountablities
The Management Account will carry out the following duties:
- Answer finance queries for The Felix Project teams
- Creating and maintaining a set of management reports to share with budget holders
- Reporting actuals vs budget costs to budget holders
- Monthly costs analysis review with budget holders
- Working with financial accountant to ensure reported numbers are correctly coded
- Capital investment analysis
- Preparing annual forecast with FD
- Budget reforecast with FD
- Cash flow and treasury management
- Short-term forward forecast to ensure adequate cash is available for day-to-day activities
- Long-term forward forecast for review by DoF
- Restricted funds:
- Identify receipt of and maintain records to show the restriction
- Ensure expenditure for the intended purpose
- Maintain appropriate accounting records
- Provide management information as necessary for funding applications
- Project (eg new depot) management forecasting and reporting: budgeting and monitoring of actual spend vs budget
Support / provide cover for other team members as and when required
- Proactive / Hands on
- Strong analytical skills and ability to identify performance improvements
- Self sufficient
- Focussed on delivery to deadlines and attention to detail
- Good communication skills
- Management/budgeting accounting experience
- Microsoft suite – Advanced excel / powerpoint and word
- Part qualified or past finalist (CIMA preferred / will consider ACCA/ACA)
- Charity (preferred but not essential)
The role is office based in Park Royal, West London.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.