About MapAction - MapAction is a charity existing to provide mapping, geospatial and information management services to humanitarian emergencies. A leader in its field, MapAction uses an inspirational team of highly skilled volunteers backed up by a specialised staff team to provide support and training services worldwide. The overall aim is to save lives and minimise suffering by ensuring that humanitarian aid is delivered as effectively and efficiently as possible, getting to where it is needed most, fast.
MapAction has a strong reputation for excellent service delivery and a collaborative approach. It is a technical partner of several United Nations and regional disaster management agencies, with ongoing funding from several humanitarian donor governments, trusts & foundations. With a team of creative, compassionate and committed people and a strong team spirit, we remain small enough that you will quickly come to know and respect what everyone contributes, as they will you. We pull together to do what is needed.
What will you do? - You will be the lead for all MEAL activity in MapAction, coordinating with the team internally and with multiple partners externally. You will be essential to providing a nuanced understanding of MapAction’s contribution to achieving humanitarian outcomes and the development of bespoke packages to address these needs. You will be responsible for the implementation, development and delivery of MEAL across all areas of the organisation, engaging with the 4 Directors and Chief Executive on a routine basis. Your work will be committed to supporting MapAction’s new multi-year strategy by Monitoring the organisation's activity and outputs, and Evaluating their effectiveness and success against our Accountability targets for our donors and partners. Finally, the Learning aspect of the role will see you lead on developing training activity internally whilst influencing and informing the design of our training packages externally.
You will be required to work with multiple partners and organisations, demonstrating effective communication skills and relationship management. You will be happy using your numeracy skills and comfortable creating and working with spreadsheets. You will enjoy working closely with colleagues in the Operations, Technical, Fundraising and Finance teams to ensure that donors receive the information they require on time, in helpful formats.
- Lead on the development, implementation and management of MEAL across the whole organisation to support and improve MapAction’s capability to respond to humanitarian emergencies
- Work with multiple stakeholders to evaluate the effectiveness of MapAction’s activity and improve our delivery of humanitarian outcomes
- Understand and communicate user requirements of partners to inform the delivery of ever more effective products and services
- Deliver the organisation’s MEAL framework in line with the 2019 Strategy ensuring close collaboration with preparedness and capacity building activities
- Drive for greater coherence across the organisation to improve our accountability and reporting to donors
- Work with the MapAction volunteer team to research and propose methods for improving MapAction’s performance and effectiveness
- Actively participate and represent MapAction on internal and external MEAL and training working groups, projects, networks and events
- Support the design and delivery of internal training events, both remotely and at training locations
- Ensure learning is collected and assessed from organisational and operational activities and incorporated into training for volunteers and in the design of training packages for partners
- Lead on the management and development of the team competencies framework to keep our skills and knowledge relevant and at the forefront of sectoral trends
- Identify new opportunities to further extend MapAction’s training offer in line with the 2019 Strategy
- Substantial experience in designing and delivering MEAL for humanitarian or charitable organisations
- Substantial training and/or education experience including experience of designing bespoke training for service users
- Ability to facilitate and engage others to collate, analyse and report on targets
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to coordinate with multiple stakeholders, build and maintain relationships
- Experience of managing multiple projects concurrently with inputs from multiple stakeholders
- Comfortable with a fast moving environment and managing multiple demands on your time
- Commitment to working with volunteers
- A driven and determined character who is self-motivated and able to work both independently and in a team
- An excellent communicator who can convey complex concepts effectively across all areas of the organisation and with external partners
- Good IT skills and experience of Microsoft Office and google applications
- Strong commitment to MapAction’s mission and values
- Must have a full driving licence and own a vehicle
- Flexibility and willingness to work outside office hours including evening and weekends. Training events will be scheduled for a weekend, once a month and this post is expected to attend these events. Reasonable time off in lieu is available by agreement.
- Must have the right to live and work in the UK. MapAction is unable to consider candidates who do not already hold appropriate permissions.
- Required to work remotely initially and then to attend the MapAction offices by negotiation.
- Note: this is an operational role in a small, highly specialised charity and an appreciation of, and affinity with the humanitarian purpose of the charity is essential, as well as a willingness to take up additional tasks outside of the normal role when needed.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.