MapAction is a charity existing to provide mapping, geospatial and information management services to humanitarian emergencies. A leader in its field, MapAction has an inspirational team of highly skilled volunteers backed up by a specialised staff team to provide humanitarian emergency response, preparedness, early anticipation activities and the delivery of training services worldwide. The overall aim is to save lives and minimise suffering by ensuring that humanitarian aid is delivered as effectively and efficiently as possible, getting to where it is needed most, fast.
MapAction has a strong reputation for excellent service delivery and a collaborative approach. It is a technical partner of several United Nations and regional disaster management agencies, with ongoing funding from several humanitarian donor governments, trusts and foundations. With a team of creative, compassionate and committed people and a strong team spirit, we remain small enough that you will quickly come to know and respect what everyone contributes, as they will you. We pull together to do what is needed.
What will you do?
Training is a key component of MapAction’s output and is central to our effectiveness as an organisation. This role covers four key areas. First, the design and delivery of relevant training to the MapAction team that maintains and enhances our capability to respond to humanitarian emergencies and deliver our outputs. Second, the design and delivery of bespoke, relevant and innovative Information Management and Geospatial training to external partners. Third, the management and coordination of training plans, resources and information. Fourth, evaluating and evolving our training offer to ensure our internal and external training activities are both relevant and used.
You will do this by coordinating with multiple internal (volunteer and staff) and external stakeholders, working to understand the needs and requirements of the training audience; designing bespoke courses and exercises to meet these needs. You will work in small teams, drawing on MapAction subject matter experts to organise and deliver training packages both in person and online, to a variety of international organisations and partners. You will be the focal point for the internal training curriculum and competencies framework ensuring MapAction personnel are trained to the highest standards in Geospatial and Information Management and will be pivotal in delivering the annual MapAction simulation exercise. Your work will be committed to supporting MapAction’s multi-year strategy, working with the Head of MEAL to monitor activity and outputs, evaluating their effectiveness and success and applying this knowledge to improve our training offer to partners and our internal training curriculum.
You will be an effective and engaging trainer and communicator, with strong relationship management and interpersonal skills, and an initiative-driven approach. You will enjoy working closely with colleagues in the MapAction volunteer team and work closely with the Operations and Technical teams to ensure our training events are delivered to the highest standards. You will be happy using your numeracy skills and comfortable creating and working with spreadsheets.
- Lead on the design and delivery of MapAction internal training to maintain and enhance our capability and ensure we are ready and able to respond to humanitarian emergencies
- Lead on the design and delivery of MapAction bespoke training to external stakeholders and partners
- Work closely with the Operations Director and Preparedness Coordinator to design and deliver a complete package of training across mapping, information management and mentoring and coaching support.
- Work closely with the Preparedness Coordinator to support the delivery of training and for communities of interest of humanitarian responders and national and regional authorities
- Ensure learning is collected and assessed from training activities and working with the Head of MEAL, incorporate learning into internal and external training design
- Represent MapAction on internal and external working groups, projects, networks and events
- Lead on the delivery of the annual training curriculum in collaboration with heads of circles (volunteer teams focused on specific areas e.g, software, GIS etc), managing and improving the team competencies framework to keep our skills and knowledge relevant and at the forefront of sectoral and technological trends
- Work closely with the ‘Training circle’ group of volunteers to manage our training outputs and improve the delivery of events internally and externally
- In collaboration with the Operations Director, deliver the annual MapAction simulation exercise
- In collaboration with the Training Circle develop the use of different media and methods for training that makes training more accessible and enables Team members to shape their training needs
- Identify new opportunities to further extend MapAction’s training offer in line with the 2019 Strategy
- Ensure and action appropriate administration of team training, identifying suitable venues/activities that will invigorate training events, give value for money and contribute to it being an enjoyable activity for MapAction volunteers
- Maintain training and competency records (Salesforce)
- At least three years, post qualification work experience in a similar role or a role designing and delivering training on technical subjects
- Qualifications in Management, Education, Administration or similar discipline or significant experience in lieu of formal qualifications
- Demonstrable evidence of having delivered bespoke training events and simulation exercises to diverse audiences
- Experienced in adult learning, participatory training approaches, confident in delivery of group presentations, able to manage group dynamics, and enable a group to learn together, in person or online
- Experience evaluating the effectiveness of training events and using this to drive improvement and innovation nd exercises for service users
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to coordinate with multiple stakeholders, build and maintain relationships
- Proven project management experience
- Comfortable with managing multiple demands on your time
- Commitment to working with volunteers
- Ability to facilitate and engage others to learn
- A collegial and collaborative character, keen to work in and promote diverse teams
- Good IT skills and experience of Microsoft Office, google applications and electronic record keeping (Salesforce)
- Strong commitment to MapAction’s mission and values
- Must have a full driving licence and own a vehicle
- Flexibility and willingness to work outside office hours including evening and weekends. Internal training events are run over a weekend each month. This post is expected to attend these events. Reasonable time off in lieu is available by agreement
- Must have the right to live and work in the UK. MapAction is unable to consider candidates who do not already hold appropriate permissions
- Required to work remotely initially and then to attend the MapAction offices by negotiation.
- Note: this is an operational role in a small, highly specialised charity and an appreciation of, and affinity with the humanitarian purpose of the charity is essential, as well as a willingness to take up additional tasks outside of the normal role when needed
Equal Opportunities Policy
MapAction is an Equal Opportunities employer. All employees have a personal responsibility to promote and support measures designed to create a working environment which is free from harassment or discrimination on the grounds of gender, marital status, family status, age, race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, membership of the Travellers community or HIV&AIDS status.
How to apply
Please complete your application on Go Hire via our website. The closing date for applications is 31.01.2021. For further discussion regarding the content of this role, please call Chris Davies, Operations Director. MapAction reserves the right to close the application date early.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.