Job Title: Retail Donation and Shop Distribution Centre Manager
Responsible to: Assistant Head of Retail
Hours of work 35 hours over seven days
Place of work Martin House Retail Hub and in the Community
Overall purpose of the role
To effectively support the Retail Shops with the delivery of stock, supplies and storage through a team of Staff and volunteers. To actively arrange and support stock collections from Donors and corporate supporters, maintain these relationships. Achieve annual targets as agreed with the Assistant Head of Retail. Act as an Ambassador for Martin House Children’s Hospice within the local community.
Tasks and duties
- To take day to day responsibility for the running of the Retail Hub and Donation Station, meeting targets and actively working towards increasing sales across Retail.
- Maintain physical condition of the Donation Station and Stock Storage by planning and implementing new design layouts, inspecting equipment and making sure repairs are done, where necessary.
- To hold each member of the Martin House team in positive regard and to foster a culture of respect and consideration between all staff and volunteers.
- To support the Retail Leadership Team with the day to day responsibility for the running of the Martin House Shops, through maintaining strong stock levels and safe storage actively work towards increasing sales.
- To ensure that any goods collected comply with the Trading Standards Regulations.
- To manage the day to day responsibility for the running of the retail van operation, managing the volunteer drivers to complete daily deliveries to shops and collections from Donors.
- To be responsible for the Martin House donation station operating on a daily basis from the Retail Hub to ensure all stock is dealt with effectively and gift aid achieved.
- To transport all donated stock to our Donation Station from our regular sources, Martin House Shed and ensure its correct safe storage
- To ensure and be responsible for the goods movement between the Retail Hub and the Martin House shops. This includes both new and donated stock, as well as supplies such as stationery and photocopying, wrapping materials and Christmas cards.
- To actively recruit, support, train and manage volunteers providing supervision to ensure they work within their defined role and that there is sufficient cover throughout the week.
- To manage voluntary van drivers and drivers’ mates and ensure they are appropriately trained in any given task.
- To cover the adjoining Furniture showroom for holidays and busy times
- To take responsibility for ensuring health, safety and security of staff, volunteers and Retail Hub premises.
- To inform Assistant Head of Retail of any complaints, accidents or untoward occurrences in the warehouse.
- To be the keyholder of the Retail Hub and ensure security of the premises.
- To ensure daily vehicle checks are carried out by the van drivers.
- To ensure all drivers, staff and volunteers wear provided PPE i.e. safety shoes and fluorescent jacket whilst on duty.
- To report any information regarding driving accidents, incidents, offences or cautions from the team to the Assistant Head of Retail.
- To ensure all Martin House vehicles are kept clean and tidy.
- To be responsible for moving goods between the Donation Centre, Shops and Customer’s home through arranged deliveries, including new and donated stock.
- To work with the local community to ensure a continuous flow of good quality stock. To ensure a robust rotation and storage of stock in a safe manner.
- To work alongside the eBay Team to ensure all High value or unusual Donations are seen to maximise the Retail Income.
- To actively promote the Martin House Gift Aid system to all supporters and customers and to train all volunteers to do the same.
- To support the Fundraising Department by promoting events and the lottery in the local community and train staff and volunteers to do the same.
- Any other duties as may be reasonably required.
Health & Safety
- To be aware of the safety needs of the children, siblings, parents and colleagues and adopt a preventative safety approach to all times.
- To report all accidents incidents and untoward incidents to a Deputy Head of Care and Clinical Services.
- To be aware of your health and safety responsibilities as an employee and adhere to these.
- To adopt a positive and reflective approach to personal and professional development.
- To participate constructively in a yearly annual appraisal.
- To undertake core competencies for clinical skills and specific training and to remain updated.
- To work in conjunction with the education co-ordinators to develop your practice and care for the children.
- To work contracted hours including unsocial hours as required weekends evenings and nights.
This job description reflects the present requirements of the post and will form the basis of performance appraisal. As duties and responsibilities change and develop the job description will be reviewed and necessary changes made with consultation.
Employees may be required to drive a Martin House pool car. These cars are insured by Martin House and it is a requirement of the insurers that we have checked that any staff who drive the cars have a current driving licence.
Martin House has a multi-professional, multi-skilled team seeking to reach out to each family in a way that most helps them. Because of this team members may be expected to accept a different or unusual task or role.
Martin House is committed to providing care and improving services irrespective of race, ethnicity, disability, gender, religion or belief, age, marital status, or sexual orientation
Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults
Martin House is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all employees to share this commitment. Recruitment checks are undertaken in accordance with safer recruitment standards and successful applicants may be required to undertake a DBS check via the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
All Martin House employees are expected to
- Uphold the values of Martin House and behave in a professional manner at all times.
- Value equality and diversity and comply with relevant equality legislation.
- Attend 1:1s with line manager, team meetings and annual appraisals.
- Take part in all relevant mandatory training and any other education and training considered necessary to carry out the role.
- Take responsibility for one’s own personal development.
- Cooperate with colleagues, encourage and support positive working relationships (both internally and externally) and foster a culture of respect and consideration at work.
- Establish and maintain effective communication with relevant individuals and groups, both internally and externally.
- Take responsibility for one’s own health and safety and the health and safety of others whilst at work, and comply with Health and Safety legislation.
- Comply with information governance requirements and maintain confidentiality at all times, as required.
- Work within all Martin House policies and procedures.
- Communicate a positive image of Martin House and protect its reputation.
Staff who support Martin House volunteers are expected to
- Carry out effective inductions for new volunteers in your department
- Lead and guide volunteers, providing the support needed to maintain morale and enable them to work effectively
- Supervise your volunteers appropriately in their day to day work and actively work to recognise the work that they do
- Ensure your volunteers have access to some personal time with you on a regular basis
- Ensure that your volunteers have an annual opportunity to reflect on their volunteering role with you
- Support appropriate volunteer learning and development within your team
- Communicate effectively with your volunteer team, and in line with the Martin House Staff Charter
- Play a role in the recruitment of new volunteers within your area, once appropriate training has been given
- Support the Manage performance issues with volunteers fairly and sensitively, taking advice from the HR department where appropriate