Treasurer Role Description
As a member of Mary France Trust’s (MFT) Board, the Treasurer is a Company Director and a charity Trustee. The MFT’s Trustee Role Description describes the general role and responsibilities of Board members, and the special responsibilities of the Treasurer are set out below.
The overall role of the Treasurer is to:
- Maintain an overview of MFT’s financial affairs
- Ensure that proper financial records and procedures are maintained
- Advise the Board of trustees to ensure MFT’s financial viability
Specific duties of the Treasurer:
- Overseeing, budgets, accounts and financial statements, and submitting them to the Board for approval
- Ensuring that financial resources meet MFT’s present and future needs, making the Board aware of any potential risks as early as possible, and advising the Board in addressing such issues
- Ensuring that MFT has an appropriate reserves policy
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place and properly followed
- Overseeing financial activities, including bookkeeping, accounts, bank reconciliations, cash handling, payroll
- Liaising with staff and trustees about financial matters
- Ensuring that MFT has an appropriate investment policy and monitoring any investment activity, avoiding any conflict with the MFT’s aims, policies and legal
- Ensuring MFT’s compliance with legislation and regulations related to financial matters, liaising with the Company Secretary as appropriate
- Ensuring that the annual accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders, Charity Commission, Registrar of Companies, and any relevant statutory bodies.
Ensuring that the accounts are scrutinised as required (independent examination or audit) and any recommendations are implemented
Liaising with auditors and/or accountants and ensuring MFT gets value for money
Keeping the Board informed about the charity’s financial duties and responsibilities
Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the Annual General Meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way.
The following characteristic, knowledge and experience are essential for the role of Treasurer:
Good understanding of financial management and accounting
Strong business and financial acumen
Sufficient time and commitment to fulfill the role
Understanding the specificities of working within the voluntary sector would be desirable.
Please apply if you share our values, are excited by helping us to deliver on our mission and have the skills and expertise we seek.
We encourage applications from people from minority ethnic groups, who are currently under-represented on our Board.
To find out more about Mary Frances Trust and our work, please visit our website.
For application please download the role description containing contact details.
Please apply by submitting a CV and covering letter, explaining the reasons you wish to join the Board and how you feel you will contribute to the Mary Frances Trust.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.