Trustee Role Description
Mary Frances Trust (MFT) is a charitable organisation established in 1994 by people who used mental health services, carers and professionals to support people with any mental health problems. We provide a non-medical service set up to address the social consequences of mental health problems on the lives and well-being of people with mental or emotional problems.
We believe anyone experiencing any kind of mental or emotional health issues should be unafraid to ask for help, receive appropriate support for as long as they need, and feel inspired to develop the skills that will help them to restore and maintain their own wellbeing.
- Inspiring. We offer everyone a personal, tailored approach with the space to think, try things out and find out what is working for them. We support people to draw from their own strengths and resources. We inspire and empower them to develop the skills that will help them to become experts at maintaining their own wellbeing.
- Inclusive. The people we support aren’t passive recipients of services we design for them. We believe in a strength-based approach, where we listen and tap into their expertise. We involve them in every aspect of our organisation, including the design, delivery, monitoring, review and development of services that respond to their changing needs.
- Connected. We believe in the power of connections. Our services are always designed to help people connect or re-connect with their local community. We work in collaboration with local and national organisations to provide access to first-class mental health support in the communities we serve.
- Respectful. We welcome everyone, and value equality and mutual respect. We offer the people we support a place where they feel safe and belong. We treat them with the same care as our staff and volunteers. We are committed to carrying our values in everything we do - both inside and outside of our organisation.
- Positive. Our mental health shouldn’t dictate who we are or limit what we do. We support and inspire everyone to achieve their own goals and potential, so they can lead a fulfilling emotional life. We believe that everyone can find their own mental wellbeing, whether they have a serious mental health condition or not.
The responsibilities of the Board include employing senior staff, deciding overall strategy and operational policy, ensuring the funds are properly accounted for, enabling MFT to meet its aims within constraints on resources, supporting staff in securing funding, and overseeing the operation of all Board responsibilities which are delegated to staff.
As part of your role as a Trustee you will:
Take on the legal responsibilities of a charity Trustee and Company Director
Ensure that the vision and mission of MFT is maintained
Work with the staff, fellow Trustees and people using our services to determine the overall direction an development of the charity through strategic planning and good governance
Ensure that MFT and its representatives operate within all legal and regulatory requirements
Attend bi-monthly Board meetings, Board away days, AGM, relevant training, events and other meetings throughout the year, as agreed
Contribute to discussions and decision making, and support all decisions once they have been reached by the Board
Work on, and possibly chair, sub-committees or working parties, as agreed
Be proactive in developing the charity’s network of support and always be an ambassador for MFT
Support the charity’s fundraising strategy by assisting in the cultivation and stewardship of potential and existing donors
Occasionally undertake investigations of complaints or handle staff issues in accordance with relevant MFT policies.
Commit to a term of 3 years
In return Mary Frances Trust can offer:
A great opportunity to play a vital role in the development of a mental health charity
A full and tailored induction into our work
Access to trustee training courses, as required
The chance to be a part of an enthusiastic and dedicated team
Out of pocket expenses
Please apply if you share our values, are excited by helping us to deliver on our mission and have the skills and expertise we seek.
We encourage applications from people from minority ethnic groups, who are currently under-represented on our Board.
To find out more about Mary Frances Trust and our work, please visit our website.
To apply please download the job role which contains contact details
Please apply by submitting a CV and covering letter, explaining the reasons you wish to join the Board and how you feel you will contribute to the Mary Frances Trust.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.