This is an exciting new role within a small but growing medical charity. The postholder will be MDS UK’s first fundraising employee and will have a wide and interesting remit covering multiple sources of fundraising. The post will offer wide-ranging skills development opportunities including access to training as well as regular support and guidance from a professional fundraising consultant.
The role will be full time and home based but with regular travel required initially to our Head Office in King’s College Hospital, London (reducing as the post holder settles into the role). Travel around the UK will also be required to manage and attend events and to meet with donors and other supporters. As such candidates will ideally hold a full driving licence.
1. Fundraising and Supporter Management
1.1 Individual Giving
- Develop online and offline materials to promote one-off appeals, regular giving, In-memoriam giving and legacy giving
- Identify, implement and administer ‘on-site’ online giving functionality.
- Administer existing off-site tools (Virgin Money Giving)
- Build donor data and analyse donors and donor giving to inform ongoing strategic development
1.2 Community Fundraising
- Manage the purchase and allocation of places in sponsored sporting and challenge events
- Identify specific sporting and challenge event opportunities and maintain up to date promotional information through the website, social media and newsletters
- Manage, promote and administer external fundraising tools and partners, including setting up Justgiving
- Plan, implement and manage new fundraising activities, events and collections
- Attend community fundraising events organised by third parties
- Provide information, advice and materials promptly in response to enquiries from fundraisers
1.3 Trusts & Foundations
- Identify suitable trust and foundation grant opportunities, prioritise and schedule bid development
- Support the CEO to develop core and project based proposals
- Coordinate submission, tracking and reporting on trust and foundation applications
1.4 Corporate Fundraising
- Provide administrative and communications support to the CEO where necessary
- Promote community fundraising opportunities through corporates
2. Volunteer Management
- Develop, manage and support a new volunteer fundraising team
- Promote fundraising volunteer opportunities
- Support recruitment and induction of fundraising volunteers
- Develop role descriptions and action plans
- Manage fundraising volunteers and provide all necessary support with their roles
- Liaise with Office Manager and administrators as necessary to ensure DBS checks, expense claims and other volunteer administration is completed
3. Communications and Membership
- Promote and grow the organisations membership as part of the donor acquisition strategy
3.2 Newsletter and E-News
- Support the Newsletter editor by providing fundraising articles and images for each edition
- Support the CEO and newsletter editor to achieve a future target of increasing the newsletter frequency to quarterly
- Establish a brief monthly e-news bulletin and promote sign-up
- Develop content in line with individual giving and community fundraising objectives
3.4 Social Media
- Identify and setup a suitable social media management platform (such as hootsuite)
- Plan and curate social media post types and frequency
- Develop frequent social media content and coordinate, schedule and edit draft posts from other staff and Trustees
- Increase social media engagement on core platforms
- Implement a system for supporter communication preference options
- Ensure that all fundraising enquiries by telephone and email are responded to quickly and appropriately
- Provide fundraising information for the charity’s Annual Report
- To deliver presentations at fundraising events and meet with donors where necessary
- Prepare and deliver reports for quarterly fundraising committee meetings
- Report progress at team meetings
5. Administration and General duties
- Represent MDS UK at meetings and conduct all work in a way which reflects the aims and objectives of the charity.
- Abide by MDS UK policies and practices
- Attend relevant training as agreed with Line Manager
- Undertake other duties as reasonably requested by the CEO or Trustees
- Support the Office Manager and administrative staff / volunteers to ensure:
- Efficient delivery of donor and supporter communications
- Accurate and detailed record keeping
- Swift and accurate processing of donations, gift aid declarations and claims
The postholder will need to be based in a location with easy access to King’s College Hospital in Denmark Hill, London.
The post holder will have the opportunity to help us make a real difference by raising vital funds for our work funding research into and supporting those affected by Myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS), a rare form of blood cancer caused by bone marrow failure.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and driven individual to help the team maximise income while providing support to our fundraisers, and donors, who are the backbone of our organisation. Many of our supporters have an MDS diagnosis, have a family member affected or have lost someone to the illness so are very engaged and passionate about the charity.
The person we are looking for will be dynamic and proactive, willing and able to build relationships and drive forward income generation. They will manage our relationships and stewardship with individual donors and fundraisers (who are carrying out activity to raise money for the Charity). They will also play a key role in managing our fundraising and other communications materials.
The post holder should ideally have at least 1-2 years professional fundraising experience. We would however consider a very able career changer from a relevant field such as Marketing, Events, PR or Communications.
- Experience of fundraising, particularly in community fundraising or individual giving (or extensive experience in relevant fields such as Marketing, PR or Communications).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including diplomacy, sensitivity and negotiation skills
- Dynamic and proactive personality
- Ability to plan, prioritise and manage projects to tight deadlines
- Flexibility to attend events outside of normal working hours including evenings and weekends
- Experience of writing fundraising communications and reports, editing and proof reading.
- Excellent IT skills inc MS Office
- Experience of using fundraising CRM systems
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent numeracy and financial analysis skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Experience of working within a health / social care charity
- Understanding of MDS
- Knowledge and experience of the legal requirements and best practice guidelines for fundraising
- Ability to contribute to fundraising strategy development and new ideas
- Full Driving Licence and access to a vehicle
To apply for this role please apply online including a cover letter. Applications without a covering letter will not be considered.
Closing date for application: 19th January
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.