Responsible to: Development Director
Salary range: Competitive and meets national / living wage
Key relationships: CEO, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer, Finance and Operations Director, Communications Officer, donors, partners
Location: MLDI, The Foundry, 17 Oval Way, London SE11 5RR
Hours: 37.5 hours (flexible), occasional evening and weekend work
Media Legal Defence Initiative is a global charity that helps media defend their rights. We support independent media, journalists and bloggers who are under legal threat by making sure that lawyers are available to defend them. We engage in strategic litigation to improve the regulatory environment for media freedom, make grants to organisations in various countries to run media defence programmes, and build the capacity of the lawyers and organisations we work with on issues of media law. Since our founding in 2008, we have supported 600+ cases in 91 countries, with a consistent success rate of 70%+. MLDI is a growing organisation and we are looking for an enthusiastic, proactive and highly organised individual to support us in driving our mission forward.
We are looking for a proactive, dynamic and experienced Fundraising Officer with a track record of success in raising funds from grant making trusts and foundations, including extensive experience in writing funding bids.
You will be an effective communicator with an analytical and strategic mind, excellent writing, editing and proofreading abilities, alongside comprehensive IT skills. You will be able to effectively communicate technical legal activities and results in a clear and concise manner.
In this role, you will play a key role in achieving our fundraising target. You will identify new fundraising opportunities from charitable trusts and foundations, write funding proposals and contribute to the implementation/updating of MLDI’s fundraising strategy. You will show initiative, flexibility and team spirit.
Your understanding of the international human rights/media/legal charity sector with focus on securing income from trusts and foundations will enable you to provide insight into specialist areas, supporting and leading on proposal development as well as managing and evaluating approaches to leverage high success rates in securing funding, and scoping out opportunities.
- Develop tailored, focused and deliverable proposals for core and project funding
- Research new opportunities and support the development and maintenance of relationships to secure funding
- Working closely with the Finance and Operations Director and Development Director, help coordinate and draft reports to donors on projects and activities that have been funded
- Contribute to the development of MLDI’s fundraising strategy
- Support stewardship activities such as donor-engagement events
- Represent MLDI at external events and meetings
- Identify and carry out any other duties which fall within the scope, spirit and purpose of the post as requested.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills, suited to preparing professional funding proposals of the highest standard
- Proven experience with prospecting and securing major donations from trusts and foundations
- Positive and can-do attitude, creative, flexible and enthusiastic, with a commitment to excellence and professionalism
- Proficient IT user including Microsoft Office Packages, internet and email
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, excellent written and spoken English
- Highly organised, with attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Experience using project information and data from Excel or database to inform bids or reports
- Experience of and an interest in international human rights, law or journalism
- Eligible to work in the UK
MLDI is an equal opportunities employer committed to selecting candidates for employment based on aptitude and ability.
Closing date: 8 February 2020*
*(Only shortlisted candidates would be contacted.)
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.