Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer
Responsible to: Development Director
Salary range: £28,000 - £32,000
Key relationships: CEO, Legal Director, Operations and Finance Director, Legal and Grants support officers, Communications Officer, external lawyers, partners and beneficiaries
Location: MLDI, the Foundry, 17 Oval Way, London SE11 5RR
Hours: 37.5 hours (flexible), occasional evening and weekend work
Media Legal Defence Initiative (MLDI, soon to be rebranded as Media Defence) is a global charity that helps media defend their rights. We support independent media, journalists and citizen journalists who are under legal threat by making sure that lawyers are available to defend them. We engage in strategic litigation to improve the regulatory environment for media freedom, make grants to organisations in various countries to run media defence programmes, and build the capacity of the lawyers and organisations we work with on issues of media law. Since our founding in 2008, we have supported 600+ cases in 91 countries, with a consistent success rate of 70%+. MLDI is a growing organisation and we are looking for an enthusiastic, proactive and highly organised individual to support us in driving our mission forward.
The role leads the collection of monitoring, evaluation and learning data from grant work and from partners, ensuring learning and data is up to date. Using this and other relevant information this post provides vital data to support the CEO and Development Director, in preparing and making both funding applications and donor reports.
- Monitor, evaluate grant and programme effectiveness
- Lead the development and implementation of MLDI’s monitoring and evaluation framework and evaluation and learning strategies
- Support donor reporting activities
- Develop appropriate performance indicators and benchmarks
- Gather and analyse data (including through surveys, web statistics, interviews, unsolicited feedback, case studies and reports) and ensure the resulting information can be understood and communicated for internal learning as well as external reporting
- Prepare monthly and quarterly internal performance and progress reports for both the management team and the board of trustees
- Provide advice to staff and partner organisations on monitoring and evaluation needs, such as the identification of priorities and indicators; the design, set up and use of monitoring and evaluation systems; and the design of evaluation and learning studies
- In collaboration with the CEO, Development Director, Finance and Operations Director, and Communications Officer, help coordinate the production and communication of impact reports and the annual review
- Research, collate and prepare data for CEO and Development Director to support grant and fundraising applications
- Identify and maintain a databank of suitable case studies, examples and best practice, to support fundraising applications and grant reporting
- Manage, and report on monitoring, evaluation and learning activity budget and expenses to the CEO and the Finance and Operations Director
- Such other tasks as may from time to time be required
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Good communication skills
- Excellent written and spoken English (writing, editing and proofreading skills)
- Experience of analysing, collating and reviewing data
- Experience of grants software, experience of GIFTS highly desirable
- Experience of online monitoring and information software and systems
- Highly organised, with attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Research skills
- Ability to work both independently and with others
- Integrity, professional discretion and ability to handle confidential matters
- Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with at all levels, as well as with MLDI’s partners
- Understanding of human rights and the role of the media in development and democratic systems would be an advantage
- Good working knowledge (spoken and written) of French or Spanish would be a significant advantage
- Eligible to work in the UK
MLDI is an equal opportunities employer committed to selecting candidates for employment based on aptitude and ability.
We are recruiting on a rolling basis until the position is filled, we are looking forward to receiving your application.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.