Working closely with the Head of Development and CEO, the overall purpose of this role is to help drive MAF to achieve its ambitious growth targets, in line with the funding strategy as set out in the organisational strategy 2015-2020, and beyond.
You will be delivering grant and major donor fundraising activities, including research, whole grant cycle management, and developing and delivering innovative donor communications, cultivation and engagement events.
You will have the opportunity to feed into strategic plans, agreeing income targets and shaping the fundraising activities of the organisation.
This is an opportunity for a strong relationship builder, with outstanding written and verbal communication skills, who is excited at the prospect of significantly growing an organisation that has a unique offering in the field of international development.
Manage and develop Grant Funding function:
- Actively identify and take a lead in securing funding opportunities from various sources including charitable trusts, foundations, and statutory authority contracts/tenders;
- Undertake research into grant-making organisations, pro-actively identifying, profiling and prioritising new grant-makers and opportunities for funding;
- Working closely with the Head of Development, develop high quality grant applications, working directly with partner organisations and internal teams to ensure successful delivery from development to completion;
- Steward effective relationships with selected funders, including the monitoring of grant contracts and ensuring timely reporting and communications;
- Keep abreast of new developments in trust and grant fundraising, recommending improvements to organisational plans as appropriate;
- Ensure systems and processes remain aligned to organisational and funder requirements, and that all data on trusts and grants are kept up to date on the organisations database and managed in compliance with GDPR and internal policies.
Oversee Major Donor fundraising function:
- Working closely with the CEO & Head of Development, ensure major donor activities are effectively targeted and coordinated;
- Undertake research to locate new potential supporters, identifying access channels and enabling initial engagements;
- Working with the Digital Communications Producer, develop inspiring supporter journeys to solicit initial donations and secure ongoing support, through creative fundraising materials and communications;
- Plan, organise and deliver major donor engagement meetings and events;
- Ensure effective programme administration and management of donor data, in line with all legal requirements including GDPR.
- Ensure that activities are designed and delivered against agreed targets and budgets, providing accurate forecasting, monitoring and evaluation of activities and fundraising performance
- Contribute to and support the wider work of the fundraising team, as and where required.
Essential skills and experience
- At least two years’ experience in grant writing and fundraising, with a track record of successfully securing five figure gifts
- Experience and understanding of major donor fundraising in a small charity setting
- A strong relationship builder, with a proven track record of growing and developing relationships and income in a small charity setting
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, able to create compelling and successful proposals and pitches
- The ability to think at the strategic and operational level
- Proactive, passionate and forward thinking, with the ability to be flexible and adaptable to a quickly changing environment
- Attention to detail, able to keep meticulous records and ensure back office administrative tasks are carried out, with an understanding of GDPR and its implications
- Experience of using Salesforce or similar CRM systems, and an ability to analyse and report on financial performance.
- Bachelors or higher degree in International Development or relevant area