Head of Development
Competitive salary plus generous benefits
Join us to help deliver our vision to advance medical research, improve human health and change people’s lives.
Many of the diseases and conditions that affect human health have been cured or overcome as a result of medical research. But there will always be more to do. Although significant resources are being spent around the world developing exciting new treatments and therapies, there are areas of medical need that receive little or no support - and people’s lives that see no improvement. That’s where we step in.
The Medical Research Foundation is an independent charitable foundation. Formed and supported by the Medical Research Council (MRC), we fund and support the most promising medical research wherever we discover great opportunities that are not being pursued.
We are looking for a dynamic Head of Development to deliver our ambitious plans for transformational growth of our income over the next 3-5 years and to lead our communications. You will play a crucial role in delivering and evaluating our new fundraising strategy, and developing a mature long-term strategy based on that experience. You will:
- lead the implementation and evaluation of our current fundraising strategy.
- develop, implement and evaluate a new legacy fundraising strategy based on existing legacy marketing research.
- build a long-term and sustainable prospect pipeline of high-value supporters.
- oversee and evaluate in-memory and in-celebration giving and a small challenge events programme.
- articulate our vision, strategy and priorities in a compelling manner.
- develop case for support documents, impact reports and other donor materials.
- make a case for, and be responsible for, the fundraising budget.
- be responsible for all donor data.
- lead, motivate, manage and grow a small team.
- oversee our programme of communications activities.
You will report directly to the Chief Executive and be a key member of our Senior Management Team.
We are looking for someone with significant experience of leading a legacy fundraising team and experience of major gifts fundraising. Ideally, you will have worked in a medical research charity but this is not essential so long as you are inspired to help us deliver our vision to advance medical research, improve human health and change people’s lives. This is a fantastic opportunity to broaden your skill set, widen the range of your responsibility and for you to make your mark on an ambitious, driven and impactful organisation.
- A competitive salary, dependent on experience.
- Annual pay award, performance award scheme and other rewards.
- Generous pension contribution, with no qualifying period.
- 30 days annual leave each year, plus public holidays.
- 36 hour working week, usually worked over 5 days.
- Flexi-time system and core working hours of 10am to 4pm.
- Employee assistance programme.
- Other health-related benefits.
- An opportunity to make a difference to human health.
- Fantastic colleagues.
How to apply
- provide an up-to-date CV which includes your contact details, education and vocational qualifications, memberships of professional bodies, career history and explanation of any breaks in your employment history.
- provide a brief supporting statement setting out why you are the right candidate for this role making reference to the job description and the person specification. The case that you make and the way that it is presented will form a key part of the shortlisting process.
- complete our equal opportunities monitoring form.
- let us know if you are not able to make any of the assessment or interview dates (the pre-arranged dates can be found in the recruitment information pack).
A copy of the recruitment information pack and equal opportunities monitoring form are attached as separate documents.
Closing date: Wednesday 4th September 2019 at 12:00 noon
Interview date: 26/27 September 2019 (TBC)