Are you an experienced community engagement worker? Do you have experience managing and coordinating community development activities?
Mencap have an exciting new opportunity within our Programmes and Networks team for a Community Partner based in Leeds.
People we’re working with in Leeds have told us about the great collaboration that is already happening and we’re really excited about all of different organisations we have been introduced to. One person told us “One of Leeds’ biggest strengths is that we do really already have those connections and work together. There’s already lots of partnership work going on and it’s just great to keep building on it. More so than ever at the moment that is happening and it’s great to be a part of!”
This role will be a combination of working out and about in the local community and home/office based and it is a full time (37.5 hrs per week) fixed term contract until March 2024. However, we are happy to be flexible with working patterns so please let us know if you are interested in discussing job share or part-time opportunities.
At Mencap, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we intentionally plan for the success of our colleagues in everything we do. We welcome applications from everyone, so come as you are and join us. Together we are Mencap!
We are looking for someone who has demonstrable experience of community-led development and asset-based approaches. This is an opportunity to be at the heart of our journey to becoming a community-led organisation. Our vision is for the UK to be the best place in the world for people with a learning disability to live happy and healthy lives. We are recruiting 9 Community Partners based in 9 different areas to work with people with and without a learning disability and to help turn this vision into a reality as we emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic.
As a Community Partner you will be working collaboratively with people from a range of backgrounds in Leeds. You and your team will help unite people in Leeds around a shared vision and support the creation of new ideas and local solutions.
You will need to build and maintain excellent working relationships and be someone who communicates easily and effectively with people from different backgrounds. It is crucial that you can connect with people easily and are positive, approachable, and adaptable.
Day to day, you can expect to be both out and about listening to conversations and to be desk-based, making sure we’re capturing what we are learning and focusing on the difference this is making to the lives of people with a learning disability locally.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- Extensive practical experience of community led development and/or a relevant qualification in this field
- A belief in asset-based approaches, knowing that all people and communities have skills and strengths.
- A passion for co-production and experience working with diverse groups of people
- A sound understanding and knowledge of Leeds
- Demonstrable experience of leading a team and enabling people to achieve and meet goals
- Ability to be self-motivated, organised and meet deadlines/targets
If you feel this is the next role for you and you meet the essential criteria, please apply with a full and up to date CV.
This role will close for shortlisting on Sunday 24th October.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Leader and welcome applicants with disabilities to apply for all roles with us. To find out more about the scheme please visit the direct gov website.
As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people’s lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
- 32 days holiday (including bank holidays) increasing to 35 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
- Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
- Eligibility to join Mencap Pension Plan where Mencap matches contributions up to 5% on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings. If you don’t join the Plan you start, you will be auto-enrolled after three months with us.
- Membership of Mencap Pension Plan to include up to 3 times salary death in service live cover AND Income Protection of 50% salary to be triggered at 26 weeks of long term sickness
- Loans for debt consolidation, bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major super markets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencap Extras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
- Access to award winning training and development
*T&C's apply based on contract
We work in partnership with people with a learning disability, and all our services support people to live life as they choose. Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You will have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist. We want to make you feel inspired to reach your potential.
Our work includes;
- providing high-quality, flexible services that allow people to live as independently as possible in a place they choose
- providing advice through our help lines and web sites
- campaigning for the changes that people with a learning disability want