We work in partnership with people with a learning disability, and all our services support people to live life as they choose. Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You will have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist. We want to make you feel inspired to reach your potential.
Our work includes;
- Providing high-quality, flexible services that allow people to live as independently as possible in a place they choose
- Providing advice through our help lines and web sites
- Campaigning for the changes that people with a learning disability want
Purpose of the role
Our vision is for people with a learning disability to have access to sport and physical activity at all levels,from grassroots participation to elite level sport including at the Paralympics.
The Community Sports Development Coordinator will have to deliver the Round the World Challenge (RTWC) in Gravesham working closely with people with learning disabilities (PWLD) and community organisations. This project aims to increase participation of people with a learning disability in sport and physical activity within the community, whilst progressing them on to Sports Activators courses, volunteering opportunities and potential employment programme.
Did you know that only 6% of adults with a learning disability are currently employed,despite that fact that 65%are able to and want to?
The Community Sports Development Coordinator will look to identify volunteering opportunities and sports leadership training for people taking part to build on the skills they have learnt from the RTWC. They will identify people who are ready to progress on to employment and refer them on to employment programmes.
The RTWC will be delivered across the Gravesham area. The Community Sports Development Coordinator will be home based but expected to travel across the area daily, and at times further afield. The Community Sports Development Coordinator will need to be a self-starter working remotely, whilst also a team player, feeding into the whole RTWC programme and into Mencap’s overarching strategy. The Community Sports Development Coordinator may be required to carry out additional work as and when required by their line manager.
The Community Sports Development Coordinator will also work with Mencap’s research team and an external research body, to conduct a long-term research study around the motivations to enabling long-term participation in sport and the value to the community of the learning disability market. They will support the research body on RTWC, with a focus on the Gravesham area, liaising with the evaluator, facilitating their needs around focus groups, site and session visits and partnership interviews
The Community Sports Development Coordinator, who will report to the RTWC Project Manager (South), is responsible for:
- Recruiting and supporting up to 150 PWLD to complete their RTWC journey, through accessing activities of their choice in the community.
- To pilot and lead change towards a new community led approach to participating in the RTWC; making decisions based on evidence and learning the most effective way to embed physical activity into people’s lives.
- Enabling 20 PWLD to progress onto sports leadership courses, volunteering and where possible into an employment programme.
- To support the evaluation of the project in Gravesham, through both ensuring that the RTWC portal and evaluations are completed by all participants and that the findings from the new delivery model are well documented and shared.
- To build strong relationships with key stakeholders locally, including sports clubs, leisure centres, volunteering organisations and LD providers to ensure a community led approach to the project, and buy in from providers and the sports and leisure sector.
- To work collaboratively across Mencap’s teams including the Volunteering team, Lifestyles and Work team and Regional Programmes Team.
- To work with Mencap colleagues in the research team, to support the local delivery of a qualitative research project in Gravesham around the motivations for PWLD and the market value of this audience to the community.
- To be an ambassador for people with learning disabilities rights to access mainstream and meaningful sports activities, and the importance of being physically active.
- To report back to Mencap and their manager on successes, risks and findings.
- To ensure the delivery is user led, by participants.
- Works with their manager to track and report on budget and risk. Works in a way that supports the organisation values of inclusion of all people, valuing difference and promoting diversity. Actively seeks to include people with a learning disability in their work in a meaningful and appropriate way
Please note: this role is a contracted home-based opportunity with an end date of Jan 2022. There will also be regular travel within the Gravesham area.
Interviews for this role will be W/C 5th August 2019
As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people’s lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
- 30 days holiday (including bank holidays) increasing to 35 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
- Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
- Eligibility to join Mencap Pension Plan where Mencap matches contributions up to 5% on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings. If you don’t join the Plan you will be auto-enrolled into NEST
- Membership of Mencap Pension Plan to include up to 3 times salary death in service live cover AND Income Protection of 50% salary to be triggered at 26 weeks of long term sickness
- Loans for debt consolidation,bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major super markets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencapextras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
- Access to award winning training and development
*T&C's apply based on contract