The Philanthropy Team’s work is the group of Merchant Taylor charities, controlled by Merchant Taylors’, which provide grant-funding to grass-roots charities tackling disadvantage in inner London, support education in our associated schools throughout the UK, and provide almshouse social housing in Lewisham.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- The postholder keeps the grant-funding database accurate and up to date
- The postholder helps the HoP assess grant-funding applications and write summaries of short-listed grant applications, for decision by the Charities Committee.
- The postholder assists with creating the pack of meeting papers for circulation to the Charities Committee or external client grant-making charities before board meetings, and helps the HoP write minutes of meetings.
- The postholder carries out the administration of all grant-funding applications on the journey through the decision to fund (or not), notifying the decision to the applicant, any necessary liaison with the Finance Team to facilitate them paying out the grant funds on time, right through to assessing the eventual report on what the grantee has done with the money.
- The postholder takes ownership of administering the Charity Visits Scheme, by which Company members volunteer to conduct visits to charities which are applying for or have received grant-funding, and any other initiatives by which Company members can become involved in the Company’s grant-making decisions. To include compiling bespoke electronic briefing packs for each visit and, where necessary, taking part in the visits themselves.
- The postholder provides basic administrative support to the EM as agreed with the HoP, to include not only document-based work but also helping with the logistics events organised by the EM (eg, a photography competition for the Company’s associated schools or an education seminar).
- The postholder assists the EM in the logistics of any outreach initiatives by which Company members can give their time to assist the Company's promotion of education (for example, visiting schools to provide CV advice)
- The postholder assists the Philanthropy Team with the writing and filing of statutory annual reports and annual returns for the Merchant Taylor charities
- The postholder monitors the dedicated email inbox for data protection communications and forwards incoming messages to the correct department for their action (seeking advice from the HoP where appropriate).
- As instructed by the HoP, the postholder undertakes any other duties in relation to the work of the Philanthropy Team or data protection.
- At least one A at A Level, or equivalent (E)
- A at GCSE Maths, or equivalent ( E)
- At least two As at A Level, or equivalent (D)
- Undergraduate degree, or equivalent (D)
- Communicating effectively with people from a wide variety of backgrounds and walks of life (D – and doesn’t necessarily have to be from a work context)
- Good basic maths skills, including mental maths rough and ready estimations (multiply, divide, percentage, etc) (E)
- IT skills:
- good Word(E)
- confident email user (E)
- good basic Excel eg auto-sum a column of figures, very basic formulae in cells (D)
- good basic PowerPoint or other presentation software (D)
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.