Deputy Executive Director
Location: Stevenage Office, Hertfordshire
Hours of work: Full time (37.5 hours plus unpaid breaks)
Contract: PermanentMain Purpose
The candidate will hold direct responsibility for the organisational brand, communications, marketing and donor relations function. They should be able to inspire a high performing team to achieve ambitious income targets and future growth. Overseeing complex risk factors and international relationships the candidate will be part of the Executive leadership team alongside the Executive Director, Head of Business Development and Finance Director.
The new Deputy Executive Director should be of independent mind and judgement, goal focussed, determined, enthusiastic and persuasive. They should also be able to uphold and advance the values of the organisation through strong interpersonal skills and role modelling.
- To work with the Executive Team and in collaboration with Mercy Ships globally to further develop the strategy for the charity going forward as we work towards the launch of Mercy Ships second ship the Global Mercy.
- To significantly raise the profile of Mercy Ships in the UK, and to actively oversea the increase of the charity’s supporter base both financially and in crew numbers in preparation for the launch of the Global Mercy through marketing, Christian engagement and communications.
- Oversee the change management of core systems and organisational training to ensure a fit for purpose donor experience and customer support experience.
- Have a data driven strategic approach to income generation and the ability to oversee complex campaigns and deadlines.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a fast-paced communications environment responding to and activating the press in coverage of Mercy Ships work.
- To provide comprehensive and experienced leadership to the organisation and in particular to work with senior management to deliver the vision and strategy while improving both efficiency and effectiveness in regard to processes and costs.
- Prepare papers & reports as required by the Committee and the Board.
- The organisational culture is results focused and flexible, fostering teamwork across departments and enhancing the ethos of the charity in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Demonstrate exceptional and interpersonal skills and 'emotional intelligence’ being able to relate to a wide range of stake holders.
Mercy Ships is a faith based charity, bringing safe surgery to people in Africa who have no access to healthcare or money to pay for it. For over 40 years Mercy Ships has visited more than 55 developing nations. Passionate to serve those in need and to leave a lasting impact for the future of those we serve. Our volunteer crew represent our organisation onboard through excellence and diligence. 16 Mercy Ships offices around the world work on fundraising, recruitment and public relations
Closing date: 3rd January 2020
Interviews: Friday 10th January 2020
If you would like to apply for this position, please click the apply button and attach your CV and covering letter, it will be sent automatically to us.
No agencies please.