● Develop, deliver and evaluate strategies for specific areas of campaigning and
policy work, including influencing decision-makers and building public support.
● Lead on a number of policy and campaign activities, which could include
in-depth research and writing of policy analyses, strategic campaign
development and drafting external communications.
● Provide key support on priority and ad hoc campaigns, in collaboration with the
Digital, Fundraising and Communications.
● Collect, analyse and record policy-related developments to advance the
organisation’s objectives, support internal monitoring and help coordinate
● Develop and oversee the effective monitoring of parliamentary activity,
including within Westminster and devolved nations.
● Draft high-quality policy-related paperwork, such as relevant public/private
consultation and inquiry responses, parliamentary briefs, media responses and
● Coordinate the building and maintaining of policy stakeholder relationships,
including with partner organisations and other stakeholders; working to help
ensure that the voices of a broad intersection of communities is heard in the
work we do.
● Occasionally present on behalf of Mermaids to external stakeholders or at
● Provide administrative support (e.g., preparation of documents, scheduling of
large meetings, coordination of external contacts), including for significant
events such as parliamentary conferences. This includes monitoring the policy
● With an aim of developing your political awareness and for professional
development reasons more widely, you’ll stay up-to-date with developments in
trans politics, human rights and civil liberties in the United Kingdom. You will be
able to flag key issues and suggest ways forward.
● Support the organisation’s equity, diversity and inclusion work, displaying a
genuine commitment to understanding issues faced by the diversity of
communities we support.
● Be involved and engaged in the delivery of cross-organisational projects; this
can include being a project manager for projects based within your team.
● Maintain internal databases for the policy team when necessary.
● To draw attention to your own professional development needs, such that the
organisation can strive to support you in further growth.
● To conduct the duties of the job description in accordance with the operational
policies of Mermaids, including but not limited to the diversity policy and code of
● To maintain good working relationships with staff, volunteers and other
● To contribute to the general administration where necessary.
● To manage own time effectively and ensure attention to detail is maintained at
● To undertake any other reasonable duties as may be required.
This is an outline role description and may be subject to change in consultation with
the post holder.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.