We are looking for someone with experience in community development and working within communities to join us as our Community Project Lead. The successful candidate will be someone who can ensure our projects are as sustainable as possible whilst also making room for new innovations. In addition to sustainability, this role will have a key focus on championing diversity and inclusion within the Local Conversation and local community.
Merstham Community Facility Trust is a charity that aims to support, connect, and empower the local community by providing equal access to provisions and opportunities. Based in the Community Hub it is a vibrant place to work.
One of our main funding streams is the People’s Health Trust, whose funding enables us to employ two staff (including this role) to deliver a Local Conversation in Merstham. Local Conversations is a People’s Health Trust initiative that involves supporting residents to develop a shared vision for their community and take local action on issues that matter to them, ultimately aiming to address the underlying causes of health inequalities in our local community. To these ends, we work closely with a dedicated group of volunteers to design, develop and deliver projects, including a community allotment, mental health support group, IT support, a community fridge, and many others. The identification of needs within the local community and how we can best respond to these is overseen and led by a Steering Group, comprised of residents.
- Influencing change through enabling community power.
- Developing positive relationships with volunteers.
- Motivating and capitalising on the projects’ impact and building their sustainability.
- Management of People’s Health Trust relationship including attending programme network events and training opportunities, maintaining correspondence and grant reporting.
- The management and supervision of allocated staff members (i.e., Community Engagement Officer), placements and volunteers.
- To ensure that all requirements relating to licensing, environmental health, health & safety, and other legal requirements relating to the delivery of People’s Health Trust projects are complied with.
- Management of project budgets, ensuring expenditure is controlled in line with the annual budget as approved by the People’s Health Trust and delegated by MCFT’s trustees.
- Liaise with other staff to monitor budgets as appropriate.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the strategic threats and opportunities in the context in which the People’s Health Trust project operates in order toto suggest options to manage risk and capitalise on opportunities.
- Produce six-monthly reports for funders along with monthly reports for the trustees.
- Motivating volunteers to capitalise the impact of our projects.
- Aligning projects to the funder’s priorities utilising the programme’s practice guide.
- Engaging the People’s Health Trust Local Conversation and Merstham Community Facility Trust.
- Networking with local partners to develop and maintain projects.
- To treat all members of the public, volunteers, and colleagues equally, fairly, and respectfully in all aspects of the role.
- To contribute to a cooperative working ethos across the Hub and beyond.
- This Job Description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
- MCFT reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time, according to business needs. Any changes will be confirmed in writing.