Merton Home Tutoring Service is now at a pivotal point in its development and we are seeking to appoint an experienced Director to be involved in helping to shape and develop it over the next 2 years and beyond.
Merton Home Tutoring Service (“MHTS”) is an 11 year-old charity which gives free English language tuition to migrants, refugees and asylum seekers who are not able to access local authority or other ESOL (English for Speakers of other Languages) classes because of poverty, lack of opportunity, childcare commitments, and disability. We teach learners in their own homes or in small community classes across the London Borough of Merton. These include a wide diversity of nationalities, ages and cultures.
We currently have 35-40 home learners and a further 80-90 attend our weekly community classes. We have 3 part-time staff responsible for the day to day operation of these services and 6 part-time staff who provide on-site creche facilities for the classes.
Leadership and Strategy
To provide strategic leadership to MHTS through a time of change and growth, taking staff, volunteers and trustees with them on developing a shared strategic vision and strategic plan.
To deliver effective organisational and personnel management and administration within the strategic and accountability frameworks established by the Board of Trustees, ensuring a well-supported and engaged workforce, future sustainability for the organisation, an effective performance culture, risk management, business planning and governance.
To ensure that the Board receives advice and data driven information in a timely and appropriate manner, and to ensure good communication with staff and volunteers.
To negotiate and influence constructive partnerships with local government, the voluntary sectors, and funders. To secure funding and/or contracts, develop strategic and operational alliances, influence policy and promote positive change.
To maintain the key role MHTS has as the lead provider of free ESOL services and support for pre-entry level learners in Merton.
Leading and managing the organisation
Specific duties include:
- To provide line management to staff within the organisation
- To devise plans and strategies and to implement them in order to ensure delivery and performance
- To drive and manage income generation and be responsible to the trustees for the overall financial health of MHTS
- To ensure that the organisation has the human, material and financial resources it needs to operate effectively
- To develop and seek out new strategies for ensuring future resources
- To take appropriate steps to protect the organisation from risk and manage safeguarding
- To ensure that the organisation has the right management systems and structures to carry out its work effectively, accountably and safely
- To ensure that regular and appropriate evaluation is carried out, to both support and develop the understanding of progress within the learning environment and to inform staff, trustees and funding bodies
- To provide leadership, direction and good communication to staff and to work effectively as part of a team, maintain good relations with colleagues and all contacts
- To ensure that the organisation fulfils its constitutional, regulatory and legal obligations.
- To promote external relationships and act, with the Chair, as a spokesperson on behalf of MHTS
Financial strategy and management
- To manage the financial operations of MHTS in line with the budget agreed and set by the Board
- To work to achieve the targets set for income generation as identified in the budget and to review these regularly with the Board
- To review and research new funding opportunities, develop proposals in liaison with the Board and submit funding applications and bids as agreed
- To monitor existing grant funding projects to ensure that the terms of the agreement are met, and that the projects are delivered in line with expectations, on time and on budget
- To ensure that the financial risks to which MHTS is exposed have been identified, reviewed and systems have been established to mitigate these risks
- To provide expertise in the full range of financial and operating functions, in the provision of a management information system and website/social media
Working with the Board of Trustees
Working effectively with the Chair/ other trustees:
- To ensure that the Board of Trustees formulates and regularly reviews MHTS’s vision, mission and values
- To work with the Board to develop a long-term strategy within the parameters of MHTS’s vision, mission and values
- To provide the Board with the necessary information to adequately monitor annual plans, targets and performance
- To report to the Board on organisational progress, providing information and accounting for organisational performance
- To develop policy proposals for Board discussion and decision
- To ensure the Board is aware of all risks to the charity
- To undertake the role of Secretary to the Board and set an annual calendar for Board meetings and events
- To suggest development opportunities for the Board and its members, as appropriate.
Any other duties as commensurate with the role.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.