We're hiring for a Wiser (Weather and Climate Information Services for East Africa) Project Manager (Level 3) International Development - based in Exeter HQ with hybrid remote working.
Your total reward package is potentially worth up to £63611.00 annually, which includes basic salary, potential corporate bonus and employer pension contributions.
As our Project Manager - International Development, your starting salary will be £45150.00 and you will have opportunities to progress to £49890.00 over time. New joiners to the Met Office will start on the salary band minima.
Your package includes:
- Outstanding Civil Service Pension
- Flexible hours and homeworking
- Annual Leave starting at 27.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising to 32.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) after 5 years and option to buy or sell up to 5 days per year of annual leave
- Cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel
- Access to discounted shopping on a range of retail, leisure and lifestyle categories
The Met Office WISER Programme supports initiatives that develop Weather and Climate Information Services (WCIS) with a focus on strengthening WCIS partnerships' capabilities to improve people's resilience and the adaptive capacity of countries in Africa, to prepare for and respond to the effects of climate change. From its original focus on East Africa, the Programme is now expanding its focus wider across Africa and into parts of the Middle East. The WISER Programme Team works in partnership with FCDO (Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office), the global meteorological community, national governments, development agencies and NGOs, to promote sustainable development through the delivery of enhanced worldwide weather and climate services.
Who we are
We provide critical weather services and world-leading climate science, to help people make better decisions to stay safe and thrive.
Our exceptional people deliver scientific, technological and operational expertise and provide critical services. Our people work together to deliver extraordinary impact, making us one of the most trusted forecasters in the world.
Our values - it's who we are: We're a force for good, We're experts by nature, We live and breathe it, We're better together, We keep evolving
As our WISER Project Manager, the key duties are:
- Design and Delivery - Oversee the co-design, capacity building and delivery of WISER projects with partners.
- Project Management - Day to day oversight of projects and the project team in a fund management context. Provide effective leadership and management controls. Set project controls. Oversee design of the project structure and organisation appropriate to stage. Set appropriate delivery methodologies. Manage effective transition between project phases.
- Budget - With Programme Manager develop budgets and track delivery within budget.
- Resources - Identify skill requirements; and deploy and develop resources. Manage medium sized team.
- Stakeholder Management - Identify and manage stakeholder relationships and need for senior level support. Work with international partners, providing capacity development & guidance.
- Risks & Issues - Identify and monitor project risks and issues. Develop mitigating actions and escalate as appropriate. Identify and work with related projects to manage interdependencies.
- Governance - Support effective governance and decision making. Develop and oversee external and internal reporting processes and outputs. Chair Project Boards and contribute to programme assurance meetings, and engage in mechanisms that hold you, as Senior Project Manager, to account for fund management of projects.
- Assurance - Engage with assurance reviews and support action on recommendations. Organise and deliver assurance processes such as annual reviews, as required.
- Change Management - Ensure effective Change Management processes are in place to agree and document changes to deliverables as agreed with stakeholders.
- Guidance & Support - Provide support, guidance and coaching for the project team. Show commitment to personal development. Promote effective individual and team performance.
- Project Performance & Controls - Oversee project performance against deliverables and logframes. Identify and set appropriate Project Controls. Manage performance and report progress to sponsors. Work with WISER Impacts Manager and WISER Projects to monitor, and learn from performance against outputs, outcomes and impact as per the Programme Theory of Change
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
- Project/programme skills and evidence of supporting projects/programmes, including planning, resources, contract management, finances, risks and benefits.
- Strong stakeholder engagement, communication and influencing skills including the ability to understand and gather evidence on customer, organisation, stakeholder and user needs.
- Ability to capture and build on lessons learned adapting the approach, service or offer to meet customer or delivery needs.
- Strong analytical and efficient time management skills, underpinned with sound judgement under pressure, and the ability to identify solutions to address project delivery risks and issues.
- Willingness to travel to developing countries, with a strong understanding of working overseas and in different cultural settings.
- Ability to lead, motivate and develop a team of project staff in a hybrid working environment.