Head of Finance required for leading East Surrey based Charity
ACA/ACCA/CIMA Qualified Accountant
Head of Finance required for a well-known Charity in East Surrey. The successful applicant will be expected to manage the finance team and to provide strategic and financial planning and guidance to ensure that the company's financial commitments are met. To develop all necessary policies, procedures and systems to ensure the sound financial management of the charity. The Head of Finance is a senior position with considerable levels of responsibility. You will work closely with the CEO, the Treasurer and the Board to provide financial information and guidance that can assist with strategic decisions
- Develop, review and maintain financial systems, policies and procedures and monitor adherence to them
- Oversee and be responsible for all financial business planning, budgeting and forecasting processes (including cash flow management) in order to deliver the overall strategy.
- Liaise with the CEO and budget holders to prepare individual budgets and to monitor actual income and expenditure against these budgets.
- Ensure budget holders are fully aware of their responsibilities in managing budgets and following financial control procedures.
- To work with HCS to take responsibility for the Charities financial and IT systems, and any systems where financial information is fed into the accounting records.
- Produce timely and accurate monthly management accounts and other financial reports as required by the Finance and Resources Committee, Board of Management and CEO.
- Monitor and control the financial risks to which the Charity is exposed and report on those risks to the Finance & Resources Committee and the Board.
- Offer financial advice and strategic guidance to the CEO, Project Managers, Finance & Resources Committee and the Board of Management as required, and to attend and report at Senior Leadership Team and Managers meetings
- Provide financial planning to help the Charity achieve its strategic objectives and to advise the Board on the Charities investment policy to ensure that maximum return is achieved with minimum risk.
- Oversee the Charity bank accounts, and monthly bank reconciliations, including acting as a signatory to the accounts.
- Organise the work of the finance team to ensure income and expenditure are accurately recorded and restricted fund transactions can be tracked and reported on individually.
- Act as the focal point of liaison with the Charities auditors, bankers and pension advisors.
- Prepare the Annual Report and Financial Statements and lead on the annual audit and filing of financial statements.
- Advise of VAT, and refer to specialist VAT advisers to ensure that VAT regulations are complied with and VAT returns are accurately prepared and submitted electronically to HMRC as per regulations.
- Manage the relationship with the external payroll bureau.
- Review payroll returns prepared by the HR team and monthly payroll analysis for approval by the CEO and Chair of Finance & Resources Committee
- Line manage the finance team, and to be responsible (with HR support) for their recruitment, training, development and appraisals
- Support senior management and fundraisers by producing supporting information for fundraising bids and financial information for monitoring reports
- Maintain liaison with the fundraising team and deal with the submission of gift aid claims to HMRC
- Undertake any additional tasks commensurate with the grade and level of responsibility of this post, which may from time to time be required
- Accountancy qualifications i.e. ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA
- Knowledge of statutory financial regulations especially those relating to SORPS
- A sound knowledge of business control systems including audit procedure and financial planning
- Management experience within the voluntary/charitable sector
- Experience of accounting in a charitable organisation
- Experience of preparing monthly management accounts and annual accounts
- Ability to communicate clearly on financial matters to those who do not have specific finance skills
- Ability to train and support managers so they can better understand financial matters
35 hour working week
Salary of £45-50k
25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
Defined contribution scheme which includes an employer's contribution.
Free use of Fitness Centre
Half price childcare for dependants
Bike to Work Scheme