- Excellent opportunity to join a dynamic Oxford School in a leadership role
- It will suit a qualified accountant with experience in an academic environment
About Our Client
Founded in 1863, St Edward's is an independent, co-educational boarding and day school in the heart of Oxford for pupils aged 13 to 18 (year 9 to year 13); there are presently 735 pupils, of whom 85% are boarders. Our boy/girl split is 57:43 and overseas pupils make up 15% of our community.
There are 13 boarding Houses, most of which house around 60 pupils from all year groups. The school week includes lessons on Saturday mornings, apart from leave weekends or exeats which occur about every three weeks. The boarding and day arrangements offer flexibility for families: day pupils may leave at 6:30pm or 9:00pm (most opt for the latter), and boarding pupils may choose to go home on Saturdays after sport and other commitments - but with a rich and varied weekend programme, a significant proportion of the boarding community stays in school on Saturday nights.
Pupils take part in a wide range of sports and activities in the afternoons and at weekends. St Edward's has a national reputation for sport: both boys' and girls' teams have been county and regional champions in a variety of sports and at all ages.
The key responsibilities of the School Accountant will be:
- Co-ordinating budgets from Heads of Department, preparing the salary budget and preparing the overall School budget
- On a termly basis preparing a revised forecast budget and preparing accounts for the School's Governors
- On a monthly basis forecasting cash flow and monitoring and producing budget reports for Heads of Department
- Dealing with ad hoc budget enquiries and producing reports
- Ensuring compliance with new legislation and introducing new systems as necessary
- On a quarterly basis reporting VAT
- On an annual basis reporting Corporation Tax, Gift Aid and information for P11Ds and PSA
- On an ad hoc basis reporting CT61
Annual Accounts and Audit
- Preparing School, SESIL and North Wall Trust accounts and dealing with the requirements of new accounting standards and regulations
- Annual audit
- On a monthly basis processing investment income and transactions
- On a monthly basis processing donations via direct debit
- Reconciling bank accounts and Foundation split
- Debt chasing and liaison with Veale Wasborough Vizards
- Set up of AUDIT and processing of monthly and termly Direct Debits
- Co-ordinating the annual process of pupil joiners and leavers
- Processing Advance Fees, scholarships and bursaries and Staff bursaries
- On a termly basis reconciling pupil numbers with fees billed
Managing the work of the Accounts Team
- On a weekly basis authorising invoices and expenses and approving the BACS payment
- Authorising Barclaycard/Direct Debit and any one-off payments
- Making same day and international bank transfers
- On a monthly basis reviewing and approving payroll, dealing with online pension submissions and loading ePayslips.
- On an annual basis checking that pay increases have been processed correctly
- Reconciling accounts for debtors, creditors, fixed assets, the North Wall Trust and others.
- On a termly basis overseeing the parent billing process
- Co-ordinating month end procedures.
- Management of the Accounts team including dealing with queries, monitoring workloads, managing performance, assessing training needs etc.
Completion of Returns and Surveys
- Companies House - for the School, SESIL and the North Wall Trust
- The Charity Commission - for the School and the North Wall Trust
- The Financial Conduct Authority
- ISC/Baines Cutler bench-marking survey
- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCIDSS)
- Office for National Statistics Business Inquiry
Quarterly for Office for National Statistics Capital Statistics return
The Successful Applicant
The successful candidate for the School Accountant will be:
- A professionally qualified accountant with demonstrable post qualification experience
- Experience of managing complex budgets within strict budget constraints
- Experience of producing and presenting complex management accounts
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong numeracy, analytical, accounting, organisation skills
- Ability to liaise confidently with stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Able to take a proactive approach to supporting the needs of colleagues and the school as a whole
What's on Offer
St Edward's will be offering a competitive salary and benefits package with full details to be provided on application.
A full job description will also be provided on application.
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Ref Code: MPCYJN0420-212568648Z